Chapter 25: What's the Plan?

•A lighter, shorter chapter to make up for the dark ones. Hope you enjoy it!!•

Like a bad dream, everything flashes through my mind at once. Showing me a repetition of my worst hits on a loop. Only, they don't feel like my memories, they feel like someone else's. The strange syringes, the hallucinations, the innocent man I almost killed because someone told me to. My ears begin to ring and feel like they're stuffed with cotton as my eyes glaze over the gold energy still surrounding me.

I lost every ounce of control I ever had and there's no guarantee I'll ever get it back again. The thought alone brings a burning sensation in my throat, the thought that I could be their weapon as long as I live. Though, I didn't feel any weakening sensations before, I feel them now. As if my body was on auto pilot before, ignoring any basic instincts and leaving me to pick up the pieces. My body feels like a great weight against the chair beneath me, sinking me further into the leather and I fear I may fall through the floor.

"Nadya!" I wince as my hearing suddenly becomes clear. I blink a few times and look back up, seeing Strange still standing over me with his hand just hovering outside of his spell. He looks away from me once my eyes reach his. "She's okay," he mutters.

Sam comes into my line of vision and I'm overwhelmed with the relief pounding on my chest, sending waves of comfort flowing through me. "You can take that off now, right?" He asks Strange before looking to me, not waiting for an answer from him. "Hey!" He smiles brightly at me, so much so that his eyes look smaller. "We missed you, good to have you back."

I clear my throat, unsure if I've retained my ability to speak. "I'm sorry-"

"Stop," he interrupts me before I can finish. "Don't even say it. You have nothing to be sorry for," he concludes as he glances at Strange again.

"Oh, yeah. Right." I hear him say and just as quick as the energy appeared around me, it disappears. Dispersing into the air and not leaving a trace that it was there in the first place. "I'm gonna get working on a more permanent solution." I feel a hand drop against my shoulder and I look back up to him. "Stay sane," he says with a smirk before walking out of my vision. His footsteps echo around the room until they fade.

I furrow my brows at Sam as he chuckles at Strange's words. "Not funny," I manage to say through the dryness scratching my throat.

"I'm sorry," he says through his laughter. I ignore the adrenaline flooding my body when I feel his hand pinch my arm gently. "I was worried we lost you there."

My eyes dart around the room as soon as I hear the word 'we' drop from his mouth. There's no one else in here but Sam and I. "Where-"

"He's sleeping," he answers my question before I can ask it. "Save your strength. You were out for a while." I narrow my eyes at him, knowing he's lying when he doesn't look me in the eye. He eyes me for a moment before letting out a long sigh. "Strange almost had to drag him out kicking and screaming. He thought it'd be best if when you woke up, he wouldn't be here...just in case-"

"I didn't wake up as myself," I finish his sentence and let out a breath when he lifts his eyes back to mine, confirming my suspicions. I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment, feeling a horrendous headache encroaching in. "Uh-what's the date?" I reluctantly ask, the confusion settling in on how much time I've missed.

"It's the middle of March." I suck in a breath when I hear this and force my hand up to brush the hair out of my face. It feels like it weights a thousand pounds.

I look back to Sam and find him smiling at me weakly. "I missed my birthday," I mumble, feeling pathetic at the mere mention of my birthday after all that has happened. My brows pull together in confusion when I feel the fabric covering my hand, I pull it away and examine it, remembering the 'new suit' I was given. I look down and see the buckles strapped across my chest and sigh. "They took my suit."