"Don't try changing the conversation, Avery," The sheriff raised her eyebrows, looking back at the road as the lights changed. "You do realise that I'm clearing your name, which means that he will find out you are back. He will want to see you again, and he deserves to, no matter how much wrong he's done"

Avery pushed out a long sigh, gently banging her head against the seat. Everything Peterkin was saying was true and she hated to admit that, a big part of her wished it wasn't. Her father would find out sooner or later, and no doubt, he would want to see her. But what he did still hangs over her like a shadow, weighing down her heart and made her mind spin like crazy. He hurt her, maybe it wasn't his intentions, nevertheless he still did, badly.

"What do I do?" She quietly said, dropping her eyes down to her lap as she continued to fidget. Avery frowned lightly and looked up at the woman.

"The right thing, like you always chose. I have complete faith that whatever you do, it might be the hardest thing, but it will be the right thing" Peterkin consoled with a small smile, turning the vehicle into drive.

The car loudly drove over the gravel, making it crunch under the tires and Avery felt the vehicle rock slightly as they drove over the uneven ground. Her hazel eyes fluttered up, looking at the old fish shack that sat near the marsh. It looked just like she remembered, there was not one thing that she could point out to be different from the last time she saw it.

Peterkin stared at the girl, waiting for some reaction, admittedly she was betting on tears. However, Avery only stared. All the feelings that filled her were overwhelming, making her unsure on what she was feeling exactly.

Then it dawned on her, she was home.

"Home sweet home" She mumbled, her lips twitched slightly and her heart was thumping in her chest. After a long few seconds, things began to sink in.

"Are you ready?" Peterkin carefully asked, her hand on the car door handle as she titled her head at the teenager.

"No," Avery choked out a short laugh, blinking a couple times. She looked back at the woman with a growing smile, "yeah, I'm ready"

With that, Sheriff Peterkin pushed open her door and stepped out the vehicle, her thick boots crushing the grit with every step. A warm breeze rushed in and tickled Avery's side, making her shiver a little. She hesitated, taking a moment to herself, before reaching for the handle and also stepping out.

The faint smell of wild grass and dampness filled her senses, a scent that never thought she would miss so much. She gently shut the door behind her, not even thinking about peeling her eyes off of the sky that laid behind the docks. The midday heat rose in the light, appearing wavy, it was beginning to hypnotise her.

A door opened, the rattling brought her attention back to the Chateau. On the porch, the two old friends walked out as they bickered back and forth. John B was trying to lecture JJ on his dumb choices and how he won't be bailing him out next time he gets in trouble. Unfortunately for John B, the blond was finding the whole thing amusing and wasn't even trying to hold back his witty responses.

"You can't keep getting yourself into shit, J, seriously. You'll make me go grey before I'm older enough to drink legally"

"Technically that won't be a problem for you because you do it anyway, plus, I think you would suit the silver fox look," JJ teased, plonking himself down onto the worn down couch. "But seriously, at least I get myself out of this shit–"

"–Hey, losers!"

"Did you hear that?" John B abruptly said, waving his hand towards JJ. The blond raised his eyebrows and his lips hung open, about to carry on talking if he hadn't been abruptly interrupted.

"Hear what?" JJ responded, a nervous smile playing on his lips.

AUTHORS NOTE!cliffhanger! well it's an obvious one but still

AUTHORS NOTE!
cliffhanger! well it's an obvious one but still. writing peterkin's features are easily one of my favourite things to do. things are starting to build up!!