"That doesn't make sense," Nina shook her head, "I didn't pass out back in the cell, I iced myself. If the frequencies emitted are the same, why did I completely black out in Wisconsin? Bobbi said it looked like I was possessed, that didn't happen here."

"Fitz thinks it has something to do with the duration and strength but he's still unsure," Coulson sighed, "but one thing he and Simmons are certain of, is that if Skye hadn't passed out when she did, you would be dead."

Nina gulped at the statement. She would've never guess that Skye's abilities were interfering with her own or that she was so close to becoming a casualty.

"So Skye, she's..."

"The reason you keep losing control," Coulson confirmed and Nina bit down on her lower lip. She wanted to stay by Skye's side and help her but not at the expense of herself, especially because Skye would be inconsolable if she found out, "Simmons thinks once you get better at controlling your abilities, hers will stop affecting you. But until then, I have no choice but to separate you two."

Nina sighed, her body almost deflating at his ultimatum before she silently spoke, "your decision is final, isn't it?"

"It is."

"Okay.... can I at least say goodbye?"

"Of course. We'll be heading out in an hour," Coulson mirrored the same shoulder pat on Nina that he'd done on Skye before leaving the Bus and heading back into the Playground.

Nina watched him leave before walking back to Skye's cell. She wasn't surprised to see that she was packing a bag or the instant realisation in Skye's eyes when she saw her.

"You're not coming with me, are you?"

"I'm not," Nina shook her head with a tight smile before moving over to Skye and wrapping her in a tight hug, "I'm sorry."

"I should be the one apologising," Skye responded quietly as she held Nina around the waist and rested her head on her shoulder. Nina didn't expect such an intimate hold, but she didn't pull away.

"El primer paso no te lleva donde quieres ir, pero te saca de donde estás," she decided to say causing Skye to loosen her grip slightly before asking.

"What does that mean?"

"It's literal translation, the first step doesn't get you where you want to go but it gets you where you are," Nina translated, "I know you want to master these abilities but you're breaking your body by trying to rush it. Take your time and enjoy the journey because it's just as important as the destination you have in mind."

Nina squeezed Skye a little tighter as she spoke, part of her not ready to let her go. Nina had Fitz on her side 100% but she and Skye were going through the same thing. No one understood them like each other did and now they were being separated.

"You know," Skye whispered against Nina's skin, "you're very hypocritical in your advice."

Nina laughed at her words before leaning her head against Skye's, "yeah, I know."

*

Nina really wanted out of the base. It had only been a few hours since Coulson and Skye left but she found herself ridiculously bored. Simmons was keeping Fitz busy with something Nina didn't understand in the lab, Bobbi and Mack were off base and May was practically running the organisation while Coulson was out.