Bonfire Night

The Bonfire was an evening in the woods event. It was where all the army gathered , twenty four hours before they headed out for the Warfield.
A hundred of them, each ten in its own different capacity to bring the will of God to fulfillment.

Tonight was especially dark. They had a huge circle cleared out amidst tall bamboo trees. It was as if they were living out the days of the Bible.

The sky mirrored the promise of God over Abraham.
The moonlight was dim, so the major light that gave luminosity to their faces came from the burning pile at the core of the circle.

James, stood upon a stone at a corner beyond the circle.
Far before he became the leader of the hundred, he always sought after the Lord.  Two kneels down and alone , tonight would be no different.  He needed wisdom to deal wisely on the new assignment, to know his purpose in the battle that laid ahead.
He needed God to map out the journey ahead for them out of the hands of the evil company.
And most importantly, wisdom to redirect his sister, who is forsaking the guide of her youth . Whose memory has turned vague of the covenant of her God.

When he was done  pouring out his mind, he left his closet with certain clarity and peace that held him together even as a leader.

~~~

Her mind was fairly made up  but she had come anyway because she honored the leadership. So, when he says come, she would not hesitate to.

The shrubs were crumbled underneath her high boots as she trailed her way to the Bonfire.

Punctuality was a virtue she grew up with therefore, she arrived just before the Bonfire started.

    The atmosphere felt different, it wasn't like any other night, she felt a familiar overwhelming presence in the midst of them , the presence of God.
Her heart thudded a bit faster while, she sat in the group of casually dressed female soldiers,  fellow sisters she was convinced were more abled for the war than her.

Her brother stood close to the fire, visible to the remaining ninety nine.
" Let us pray." He drew a quick breath and began.
" Our Heavenly Father, we bless your name because  you are Lord . We thank you Lord for your grace and presence upon us tonight." Everyone exhaled in accordance to the prayer  " We believe  Lord, that you will speak to us, to our fears and prepare for the road upfront. Thank you because you are our God, in Jesus name we pray. "

They all echoed.  " Amen!!! "

James continued as they settled down.
" Tonight, we are doing something different."  He was five six foot tall, pretty unfit for a leader of so many tall people.
His build was firm , his face was round and beautifully sculptured. In the early days, considered not rough enough to be a soldier. However said, within he carried a fire pleasing to the Lord , and he was chosen and anointed by God to a leader of His hundred.

" We are throwing out the old handouts for the Bonfire!" There was a round hulas and pleasant cheers.  Soldiers don't clap, so they believed.
" The Lord said to me, throw out that old strategy! " He held a dramatic charisma in his voice that kept everyone actively going.  One of the characters God built into him as a leader.
" Come to me as you are. Plainly, your fears, your thoughts, your hopes concerning the battle . "
And with a breath in his voice, he said. " I want to build strengths out your weakness, says the Lord of host."

They all looked more upbeat with lifted spirit. He continued. " Of course, we won't all be talking." He made a funny face . " I mean I don't think we have all year to burn woods."  Though exaggerated there was humor in his voice and everyone laughed, including Tabitha.
" Let's be time conscious soldiers. What do you think we can do?"