Chapter 4: Fooooood

Start from the beginning

The waiter came back out with their meals before winking at Zim and leaving. Lark never understood why no guys flirted with her, Zim was gorgeous and Lark knew this but she was never jealous just a little sad. Her flame red hair stood out in the crowd it was unique and natural. Together the 3 sat in silence just enjoying their food and their last day together.

"Come on more shopping to do!" Mindy hopped up full of excitement after they had all finished eating and payed for their meals.  Zim and Lark followed pointing out funny clothes in store windows and cute guys and girls. Mindy joined in sometimes pointing out people who were watching either one of the girls, making them blush. The day flew by at the speed of light, Mindy, Zim and Lark each pushing their own cart full of stuff.

Lark as per usual didn't wish to spend much but when it came to shopping with the Gregoravich's that never happened. The money spent went to struggling families or owners of small businesses. The three women always preferred shopping at small stores as they were usually the families that needed money and had better quality and more unique items. Zim bought a few sets of training clothes and boots to take to the academy as well as some books and other small momentos, Lark additionally bought clothes; from formal shirts to training tops, leggings and jeans. Lark and Zim both being bookworms purchased a handful of books each as according to Harley the academy had a library where you could take books but also there was a small town nearby where you could buy things or have goods delivered from nearby villages.

Mindy is a generous lady, she adores gift giving and seeing others smile. Lark, although she's had a tough life after her mother passed, she still smiled and lived life to the fullest despite living with Abe. This filled Mindy's heart with love, she loved Lark like a daughter. During their shopping spree today Mindy had bought both girls a small going away gift, arriving home she presented a small box to each girl.

"Girls, I'm going to miss you both so much." Mindy's eyes grew moist with tears and they trailed down her cheeks, always the affectionate one. Zim eyed to two boxes before gently taking the box offered to her, Lark followed suit.

Both opened their small boxes and peered inside. Sat among soft velvet was a bracelet, a dragon wrapped around to make a circle. Lark and Zim had matching bracelets, however Lark's was gold and Zim's was bronze.

"Thank-you, Ma! It reminds me of you sorta... not really." Zim's eyes travelled from her bracelet to her mother's face, she rushes over and squeezes her mum. Lark just stood there silently nearly crying while looking at her bracelet wrapped around her delicate wrist.

"Oh... Honey... don't you like it? We can swap it for another one." Mindy quietly goes over to wear Lark stands looking at the floor. She scoops Lark into a hug squeezing her gently.

A soft sob comes from Lark before she responds. "I-I Love it... i-it j-just reminds me of mum. She'll n-never see my d-dragon..." Lark softly sobs into Mindy's shoulder, Mindy pats her shoulder and rubs her back making soothing motions.

"It's alright Honey, you're mum would be so proud of you." Mindy murmurs into Lark's ear. Zim stands silently to the side watching the transfer, she's not a particularly jealous person but seeing her mum comfort Lark does send a spike of jealousy through her. However she pushes it aside, her best friend is more important than jealousy and disdain. Her and Lark are like sisters, their mum's were also like sisters.

Lark pulls away from the embrace. "Thanks, I don't know what came over me." Lark isn't someone who shows vulnerability, she always says 'vulnerability in-front of others can come to stab you in the back but when you are safe in the arms of someone you trust let your emotions be free to travel like a dragon.' Zim only then understood what she meant, enemies can use your weaknesses against you but the ones you trust will always help you.