He Gave Me My Tattoo

"Claire! You do understand that if we don't hurry, you're going to miss your appointment! I've listened to you talk about this for God knows how long, and I dont think I can listen to it anymore!" Kaeli yells from downstairs. I hurry to finish my eyeliner. She's right. I've wanted this tattoo forever. With my makeup done, and long hair straightened, I head down to Kaeli.

"Ready!" I say. Kaeli rolls her eyes.

"Took you long enough. Now lets go," she says. I swear this red head has no paitience. And her temper matches her hair. Best not to test it. I scurry into her car. My piece of junk car was, once again, not running. My older brother's friend, Marlin had it down in his shop for the eightieth time this month. I pay more in repairs than in gas.

Kaeli and I were headed down to Robert's Body Shop, where I planned on getting a tattoo of the quote by Mayday Parade "You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, and I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds". It would be on my back. It'll hurt like a bitch, sure. But it's worth it. I had known since the first time I heard the song, I wanted it tattooed on my back. It was a cute quote, and not to mention one of my favorite songs. Kaeli was going to get a tattoo of her long- time boyfriend's name, Reed. Let's pray they dont break up. They've been going together for a little over sixth months, and frankly, I don't like him. It was Kaeli's birthday present for Reed's birthday coming uip the next week. I suggested a pair of socks, but who listens to me?

"Do you think it'll hurt that bad?" Kaeli asks, with a grimace.

"I don't know. Hopefully the guy knows what he's doing," I say as we arrive to the Body Shop. "It's one of Robert's guys so I'm sure we'll be fine."

"Hopefully," I hear her mutter. We walk into the small shop, and the smell of old cigars immediately fills my lungs. My dad used to smoke those a lot. I always hated them. They smelled old and musty. Gross. Better the smell of cigars than his new favorite thing; Booze.

There were a few people in the chairs, but not too many. Most were frightening looking men, and they deffinetly weren't getting their first tattoo. A few were punk looking girls who also weren't having a first- time experience. Kaeli and I knew Robert, the shop owner, so we hoped he would do our tattoo himself. He already said they were on the house. There's no way Kaeli and I could pay for them by ourselves. Robert and my dad, Brady, grew up together. It's hard to think that my dad had friends. No one likes hanging around the town drunk. Hell, I don't even hang out with my dad. But, i'm the oldest, and mom won the custody battle on everyone but me. I lost my two sisters, Eve and Sam, and my three brothers, Major, Lance, and Mikey.

My mom lives across town with everyone but Lance, because he got a free ride to Hardvard.Brilliant kid, Lance was. We don't see much of him, living across the country and all.  But mom's nothin' but a crack head. I'm the kid's parent. I've raised them since after the custody battle, when mom wasn't afraid to smoke in front of them. Eve, Sam, and Mikey are the youngest. Eve is 12, Sam is 9, and Mikey is 14. They didn't understand what was going on. But, Major and I knew that I was going to have to step up, even though I don't live with them. Major is 17, and i'm 19. Amazing how even after 6 kids and 22 years together, you can throw it all away for a drunken fight. I usually drive across town to take care of the kids. Or I take them to my tiny house that we rent from a family friend.

"There's my Claire Bear!" Robert's voice booms across the shop, snapping me out of my self pity party. I wonder if Kaeli was talking to me when I was day dreaming? Oh well. Robert looked pretty good for 49. Kind of tall, deep brown eyes that were almost black, and sandy blonde hair that was styled in a buzz cut. He had tattoos up and down his arm, and I know from this Summer that he has an anchor and a 6 tattooed on his ankle. He never told us why he got a "6". It made no sense. Robert pulled me into a hug.

"Hey, Robert! How you guys doin'?" I ask, reffering to a shop. The shop was small, yet popular around here.

"Ehh buisness is a little slow, but we're doin' okay," I said.

"And how's Shelby and Jake?" I asked.

"Jake is almost a freshman now, and Shelby's doin' good. Looks good for 48," he say, chuckling.

"Hey, well you're not doin' too bad yourself," I say, nudging him playfully. He laughs. and turns to Kaeli.

"Well, I don't believe we've met, but any friend of Claire's is a friend of mine!" Robert says, giving her a big grin and pulling her into a hug.

"I'm Kaeli," she mumbles in his shoulder.

"Well, are you girls ready to get your tattoos?" he asks us, pulling away from Kaeli.

"Ready as we'll ever be," I answer, my hands shaking.

"Ahh don't be nervous, I got my best man on the job!" He says. "Drake!" The man- Drake walks out with a tattoo gun, my jaw hits the floor, and I got about 1000 times more nervous.

This man was gorgeous.

________________________________________

Hey guys! This is a new story that I thought of while I was ignoring my lagnuage arts teacher! But lemme know what you think of this little opening. Sorry its not too long!