Chapter 4 - Magic Unleashed

Start from the beginning

   Alie's eyes widened in horror. "Executed?!"

   "We haven't done anything wrong!" Michael cried. "We're not with that guy. Whatever he's done, we had no involvement with it. And we don't know what this bubble thing is or where it came from."

   "Magic seekers never lie," the officer snarled. Her finger tightened against the trigger, and the barrel of her pistol emitted a haunting blue glow. 

   "Run," Michael decided, grabbing Alie by the arm and yanking her to her feet. "Run, run!"

   The pistol fired. A bright blue ball of plasma energy slammed into the golden bubble shield, erupting into a blinding white light. The golden bubble finally cracked under its pressure, shattering into a shower of glitter. 

   Alie scrambled to keep up with Michael as he pulled her into the crowd. People threw themselves away from them, desperate to separate themselves from the situation. It allowed a small path to clear before them, but only as far as the end of the street. 

   "Climb!" Michael shouted into her ear, pushing her into some wooden crates stacked beside a shop door. "Get to the roof!"

   Behind them, the pistol fired again. Blue-white light collided with the shop's awning, blasting its corner to smithereens. Alie ducked her head, instinctively protecting her face. 

   Another golden shield appeared beside her, protecting her from the rainstorm of debris that showered down over her. 

   She didn't question its appearance. She just took advantage of the momentary protection and grabbed what remained of the awning, adrenaline giving her just enough strength to hoist herself up onto it. She didn't dare look down as she scrambled over the roof tiles. 

   Michael remained close behind, pushing her forward with a steady hand on her back. "Get around to the other side," he urged, pointing to the back of the building. 

   Another blast of light erupted behind them, destroying a section of the roof. High above, a multitude of fireworks exploded in brilliant colored light. Their resounding booms thundered against her chest. 

   When they made it to the back of the building, Michael peered down into the alley below. "Too far to drop," he determined, shaking his head. "We have to keep moving."

   "Where?" Alie peered across the endless sea of rooftops. 

   "It doesn't matter. As long as we don't stop." He waved her onward, toward the roof of the building across the alleyway. "Get a running start and make the jump."

   Jump?! Was he insane?! What if she fell?

   "Move," he insisted, his tone leaving no room for argument. 

   She started to tremble. She shook her head, fear locking her muscles up tight. 

   But then, more blue-white light exploded behind them. 

   "Go!" Michael shouted, shoving her forward. 

   Alie barely stayed on her feet. She jumped as far as she could, praying that she didn't fall into the gap. Or slip on the roof tiles when she landed and tumble backward off the roof. 

   Instead, she remained airborne far too long. The roof came and went beneath her feet, as her body bounded clear over it. She watched in horror as the next street, filled with onlookers, appeared below her. Faces looked away from the fireworks to gawk at her soaring over their heads. 

   She wasn't going to make it to the next roof. Judging by the direction she was falling, she was going to land right on top of the crowd. 

   Terror collapsed her throat, not even allowing her the release of a scream.