1 - FOUR MONTHS LATER

DING! DING!! DING!!!

It was a clear Friday noon. The school bell had just gone marking the end of Friday class. Inside sat Nobita, gazing out the window into the vast blue sky, studded with white feathery clouds. Students were all having light winter clothes on them since winter was around the corner. After their teacher announced the end of their lecture, they all stood up, bowed to him, and greeted him with a 'Thank You'. No sooner did the teacher depart from the classroom than a usual hustle inside the room followed. They began gossiping with each other, trying to make plans for the rest of the day and the weekend all the while packing up their stuff from the desk and putting them into their individual backpacks.

Meanwhile, 
Similarly, Nobita put back all his notebooks from the desk into his backpack, threw down the strap on top of the chain, placed the bag on his back, straps on his shoulders, and headed straight for the door, and outside the classroom. Down the stairs......

"Hey Shizuka, have you been waiting for me all along?"
"Well, of course, I was. You were called back by the teacher. I thought you might need company after a session alone with the teacher, right?"
"Oh thank you! You are always so kind."
"You're my friend after all. Why wouldn't I be?"

Walking down the stairs, out into the open field and the entrance gate, Nobita headed towards his home: without speaking a single word to anyone all along the way. Lost in his thoughts, he looked like he needed company but also, at the same time, he didn't.

Gian and Suneo who were still packing up their stuff, watched Nobita leave like that from the classroom. Gian got out from his desk and went towards Suneo's one. Suneo was sitting on his chair, putting books inside his backpack, staring down at the field through the glass window from where Nobita was just leaving.

Placing a hand over Suneo's desk, Gian added in a concerned tone, "He's been like this since the time we've returned from the island months ago."
Suneo replied, not startled at all from Gian suddenly appearing behind him and starting a conversation, "You're right. But to be fair, we've all kinda been over the edge since that island incident and the fact that Shizuka has gone missing."

Seeing Nobita vanish from the view, Gian shrieked, "To be completely honest, I'm really worried about him. I've never really seen Nobita like this before."
Suneo nodded his head in agreement.
Gian claimed, "We've tried so many things, haven't we, Suneo? I don't think there's anything left for us to try. We've tried to instill all kinds of emotion inside him but nothing made any difference in him. Good grief!"
"We tried to scare the sh*t outta him with a ghost prank and he didn't even flinch. We wished him and took big presents for him on his birthday, but he didn't show a trace of happiness on his face. Hell, we even tried the most effective tactic against him, threatening him of beating up real bad for no reason whatsoever, yet still, he showed no reaction....." Suneo sighed.
Gian chuckled, "Yeah, that kinda sucked though, Suneo. A whimpering Nobita always gives me a different kind of pleasure."

Suneo, looking at Gian, laughed, "I have to admit you're true. That indeed is a joy on its own." Gian said, "But nowadays he has completely changed. Since Shizuka's gone, he has become so catatonic and distant from everyone else."
Looking back outside the window, Suneo continued, "Yeah I know. And that's what scares me though. He looks like a person who's lost the only thing that mattered to him. He looks so lost--as if--as if completely dead--from the inside......"
Gian let out a groan of absolute concern for his friend.

Nobita entered through the door, took off his shoes, effortlessly walking through the hallway made his way to the staircase. His Mom, sensing him return back from school, shouted from the kitchen, "Are you home, Nobita?"
An empty reply came from the stairs, "Yes Mom."
His Mom stepped out of the kitchen, looking hopefully at the stairs, from where Nobita was already gone. With a slight tinge of worry about her son, she thought, "I hope he manages to pull through. Shizuka gone missing has shattered him. He will. I know he will. He's my son."