Fatal Flaws

Azriel didn't have the heart to wake up Gwyn, who slept so peacefully snuggled into him. He had fallen asleep himself for a time with her in his arms, the warmth of her body and comfort of her presence alleviated his mind from his own company.

It must have been the middle of the night when Gwyn's long lashed fluttered open. She stirred slightly, slowly coming to consciousness. When she finally registered what had happened, she shot up, alert. 

"Oh - I'm so sorry," she breathed, making to get out of his bed.

He sat up, stretching his wings, gazing at her sleepily with concern. "No, don't be. I fell asleep too, but then when I awoke I didn't want to wake you. If you wanted-- "

He trailed off, uncharacteristically awkward. "Well, if you wanted to continue to sleep here, you're more than welcome to. I can winnow you home before first light so that you could get ready for training."

The offer was tempting; Gwyn felt she could fall asleep easily back within his arms. In truth, she wanted nothing more than to sleep in his bed, than to feel his body touching her own. His touch was everything she had been wanting and missing for so long, and she wanted as much of it as she could have. She was positive that he read this in her expression, though she shook her head.

"I would like to, but not tonight. Maybe...soon, if you'll have me again." She wanted such an event to be planned for.

He stood as he nodded in understanding, ready to winnow her back. 

Another week flew by, and with it came the return of Cassian and Nesta.

"How have things around here been? I hope you didn't miss me too much," Cassian teased over breakfast at the House of Wind.

"Well, after I stopped crying every morning due to your absence," Az started in the most mockingly dry, bored voice; "Trainings went well. The girls are making great progress."

Cassian nodded approvingly, though his expression turned serious as he asked, "And, um - how are things between you and Rhysand?"

Az knew his brother really meant to ask him about Elain, but danced around the issue. As a rule, they didn't discuss things like that together, unless it was of utmost importance that they did. 

"We've mended things. The one-eyed ginger wretch came a week early, so I was banned from the River Estate earlier than expected. But luckily, I've neither seen nor heard a thing from any of them since," the shadowsinger revealed bitterly.

His face full of pity, Cassian clapped his brother on the shoulder. And that was the end of the conversation.

Later at training, Az noticed Nesta, Gwyn, and Emerie greet each other merrily. Az wondered how Gwyn felt about their return: he was positive that she was happy to see Nesta, but wondered whether or not she felt happy or stressed about Cassian's reappearance. He had hoped that his company would have been enough to distract her from her crush while he was away; but now that he was back Az was morbidly curious as to how it would affect her.

Nesta was thrilled to learn of Gwyn and Azriel's explorations in town, and at her friend's resilience. Gwyn kept their sexual explorations a secret from her friends.

"Do you think that we could all go out to dinner one night at a restaurant soon?" Nesta inquired, eager to get out into town more with her friends.

Gwyn twirled her hair absentmindedly while she considered. "I've only just gotten a grip enough to go into shops. But I definitely want to work up to that. That'll be my new goal," she promised.