Seventy: To Bide the Time

Start from the beginning

"Hello," I ring.

She has vitiligo. Much of it has already taken up a majority of her skin. Her cheeks are still black and the sides of her neck and smaller patches on her arms, but the rest have taken on a pale complexion. Her hair is curly and brown, cut short with some hanging onto her forehead. She's shorter than both me and Neuro, resting at five-foot, I believe. Her Scottish accent is softer on the ears than Demo's. "Good morning, Ma'am. I live below ye-" she glances past me- "and I was wondering... Salvador?" I look behind me, and he brandishes an uncharacteristically excited smile. Sixth sense and sister's intuition. I think he likes her. "I didn't know you lived here."

"Oh, uh, we just moved here literally yesterday," he shrugs as he comes closer to the door, trying to walk off Baron handing him his ass.

"It was a couple of days ago," I correct. "You two know each other?"

She nods. "We're classmates. Oh, I should introduce myself." She holds her hand out. "I'm Tuesday Wilson, a medic-in-training. I'm guessing you're Salvador's mum?"

My brain lags. Mum. Has he been telling people at school I'm his mother? He must have a good reason, but I don't want there to be misconceptions. I risk creating another catastrophe over my relationship with Salvador if I go against it. I take her hand. "That would be me."

"It's nice to meet ye, Miss Fredrickson."

I lift an eyebrow as I look at Salvador. He flicks his eyes elsewhere. "You can call me Mona, it's fine."

"Well, I initially came up to ask what that noise was."

A wingwoman I shall be. "I fell. Tripped over some boxes and those fell with me."

"I do hope you're alright," she furthers apologetically.

"Eh, I'll live," I shrug with a side-smile as I cross my arms. "Sorry to worry you."

"It's alright. Oh! I received a letter in the mail Friday, and I'm unsure if ye got it as well. It's in regards tae us moving schools." She furthers once she surveys our reactions. "We're being told that we're moving to Well for the time being as Metalworks is still subject to an attack. You probably don't know, but these places are still operational in their industrial jobs while we're learning there tae keep up the charade. Well is a distillery, and we'll be assimilated into the YLO population to resume classroom learning."

"This is news to me," I murmur. "Thank you for telling me."

"It's no problem. Though, it won't happen until after New Year's. January third is when we go back."

"Right, we still have a week," Salvador notes. "Ooh, ooh. Hey, Tuesday."

"Aye, Salvador, Ah'm right 'ere."

"Saturday is Pyro's birthday, did you know that?"

She clasps her hands together. "Oh, crivens, I have to get him something for his birthday." She has a squishy face, a bit on the bigger side like me.

"Would you like to come in? Join us for breakfast."

"I wouldnae want to intrude on your Sunday, Mona."

"Please, I insist," I say after her. The stairwell door opens down the hall, and we watch as a freshly-shaven Engie opens the door and approaches with Alpha. I smile as they walk up. "I was going to call you later."

"Well, now you don't hafta."

"Aw, the beard," I note, not having sway in what he chooses to do with physical appearance.