Chapter 3

It was quiet as they all walked into the Great Hall, and all the older students looked at all the new first years coming in, Harry was relieved he was standing with everyone else, because he hated being the centre of attention. Draco had ended up talking more with the people they had shared the boat with, and another person with bright red hair that Harry was sure had been with the family who had helped him find out where platform 9 and 3/4 was came to talk to him. Now they were walking into the hall, Harry stood awkwardly between Draco and Ron, the two of them glaring at each other.

"Malfoy Draco." Professor McGonagall called out from the very long list of students she was holding. It was in a scroll and hadn't been fully opened, McGonagall rolling it so it showed around 10 names at a time.

Draco strutted forwards looking completely in his element, how he managed to look so composed and sure of himself Harry would never know, but he was somewhat jealous. The Sorting Hat had barely touched Draco's head, so much so that McGonagall hadn't even let go of the hat yet, before he was sorted into Slytherin.

"Prat." Ron muttered under his breath at Draco, making Harry elbow him. Harry immediately regretting it, though, he didn't like hurting people, and if he ever did then whatever he did would be returned 10 fold at least twice over.

Ron didn't seem to notice Harry tense up, just took about another step away from Harry so he wouldn't be elbowed again and kept looking at the sorting. Harry turned to look at Draco, who gave him a smile, some other Slytherins glanced between the two of them and a couple chuckled, making Harry feel self conscious, immediately snapping his head back to the front of the hall like everyone else.

"Potter, Harry." McGonagall announced after a short while, making the small, whispered chats that had started immediately stop.

The hall was so quiet as Harry walked forwards to the Sorting Hat, that even though his shoes were so worn they made very little noise, you could hear them echoing around the room. All eyes in the room were on Harry, some interested, some hopeful, some kind, some greedy, and some cruel. Harry hated being the centre of attention, it usually meant he was going to be mocked, punched, kicked, locked in his cupboard, or all of the above.

Although McGonagall had a generally cold air around her, her eyes held a warmth Harry wasn't used to when their eyes met. Harry sat on the stool, having to look at everyone looking at him, his back now turned to the teachers where he felt a burning sensation and a prickly sensation at his back and the back of his head. The Sorting Hat was put on Harry's head, but it was much too big for him, falling down so it was pretty much resting on his shoulders.

"Ah, isn't your mind interesting." The sorting hat's voice said from somewhere in Harry's mind, the voice echoing weirdly and making Harry feel scared and uncomfortable. "No need to worry Potter, I'm not going to cause you any harm. There are three houses that would suit you, do you have any preference?"

"I don't know, I just want to be happy." Harry thought, as he wasn't able to have time to think of the best way to phrase what he wants to stop himself from getting hurt like he normally did as the Sorting Hat was able to hear his thoughts.

"I think you could be happy in Slytherin, but, better be Hufflepuff!!" The Sorting Hat announced the house it put Harry in to the whole hall, making the Hufflepuff table erupt into cheers so loud that made Harry's ears hurt.

Some of the other houses let out half hearted sighs as they too clapped for Harry and the Hufflepuffs for having him. Draco gave Harry a small thumbs up when they looked at each other, the other Hufflepuffs welcoming Harry warmly, something Harry was far from used to.

Words couldn't explain how relieved Harry was when the next person was called forth to be sorted, because it finally got most people's eyes off him. Some people would still turn to look at him whenever they thought they could get away with it. Some of the teachers also kept their eyes on him, Hagrid looked extremely happy to be there, and happy for Harry, McGonagall's eyes would sometimes linger on him with an odd sadness in her eyes, but there were two other teachers who looked at him, both looked displeased or angry with him, one's eyes burning into him, and whenever he looked at the man in the middle of the table with long, silvery hair it felt like someone was poking his brain with a sharp object.