This boy's going to be great

Start from the beginning

"Naruto I need to tell you something" Kurenai said as she looked at his apartment complex in space.

"What is it Sensei" Naruto queried

"I and my fellow colleagues stumbled upon Uchiha Itachi and..."

"Hoshigaki Kisame" Naruto interjected with a serious expression as well getting her surprised.

"I met the two when I was with Jiraiya. We were getting his teammate Tsunade to be Hokage" Kurenai nodded still surprised to see him being sent on such an important mission.

"What happened" Kurenai asked a bit worried as she looked at him.

Naruto smiled "I fought the man while Itachi was occupied with Sasuke" she nodded as she knew Sasuke ran after the man in anger.

Naruto now looked embarrassed "I managed to handle myself well....but if it wasn't for Jiraiya I would have lost" Naruto felt angry at himself remembering that fight, next time they meet things will be different that he can promise.

Kurenai saw his ashamed expression and touched his lap and rubbed it softly "don't be mad at yourself Naruto" she smiled at him and then felt the same thing he felt "I...I didn't stand a chance against Itachi myself. My genjutsu was useless against his Sharingan" she became down

Naruto nodded but saw her really looking hurt. He then touched her hand that was touching him and caressed it.

"Tell me" he spoke softly as the two made eye contact. Seeing his soft worried eyes made Kurenai tell him everything.

Her loss against the Uchiha, her insecurities and finally how pathetic she felt, Naruto listened to everything with a straight face.

Kurenai desperately tried to control herself but didn't need to as Naruto hugged her.

"Na...Naruto" Kurenai became surprised feeling him on her once again.

"It's alright Kurenai. We both have to get stronger and next time it will be different" Kurenai just nodded as she held him.

"What if it won't" Kurenai let her insecurities control.

"It will Kurenai" Kurenai didn't looked to be accepting it when Naruto carried on "I know all about the Sharingan's power with Genjutsu" Naruto remembered Itachi's battle with Sasuke and from what Jiraiya told him about the older Uchiha.

"Kurenai do you know why I think that it will be different" Kurenai nodded wanting to know.

Naruto let her go and sat down closely to her "because I always said to myself if someone can become great so can you" Naruto smiled getting Kurenai's eyes go wide.

"There is nothing in the world that can stop somebody if they set their minds to it" Naruto nodded as he carried on while the woman next to him listened intently.

"I know about Uchiha Itachi. Not very well but I knew him on my first day of the academy" Kurenai's eyes went wide now as Naruto told her his story.

"I met him class, he was from a family who expected great things from him. While I was a boy who was expected to fall" Naruto chuckled to himself "when I saw him I saw nothing special because while he got high grades in everything and getting everyone in awe. I thought to myself that I could do the same. I never did prove that theory though since I got kicked out of the class for misconduct" Naruto sighed "I managed to take the final exam wanting to show it but I failed" Naruto looked down as he thought what he was saying to her didn't make sense. Looking determined now he looked at Kurenai "but you know what! I still held that believe because I carried it with me all my life. If I fall to the ground I just get back up and try again until I get it right." Naruto looked at Kurenai in the eye "Do you understand what I'm saying to you"