14 | ᴀᴄᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛꜱ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ... ɪ ɢᴜᴇꜱꜱ?

Start from the beginning

"We can't always carry our fallen comrades home. But we carry their memory." Levi simply told them and handed out the scout badge to the blonde. His eyes widened in shock. "This was Ivan's." Levi stated.

The two scouts had erupted into tears, clutching the badge in their grasp tightly. "Thank you, sir!"

Levi walked back to his horse, mounting on the animal, then left the two there to mourn for their fallen friend. Luna watched how all of this happened. Even though he may appear stoic and cold as he is, even with his simple gesture and words, the hearts of the two were touched.

Luna sadly smiled at the sight, before walking away so that they could return now to the walls.

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"They're already on their way back?"

"Was it that bad?"

"Probably. Odds are they'll have a stack of fresh corpses."

~~~

"It sounds like Eld will be home sooner than we thought..."

"Is that so..."

~~~

"Do you think they'll give Oluo enough time to come by and say hello?"

"I suppose in any event we can set a place for them around the table!"

~~~

"They say Gunther's coming back..."

"Do they..."

~~~

The scouts had returned back to the walls, only to be greeted with disappointed looks on the people's faces, staring at the survey corps soldiers with disgust. Murmurs and whispers here and there as they returned to their homes.

"Am I miscounting or are there fewer of them than when they left?" One of the people asked the person beside them. "No... There's a lot fewer..." Another replied.

'Fewer is an understatement...' Luna thought to herself, pulling the rope of her horse. She had a tender look on her face. In the perspective of others, she seemed to be at a calm facade, when in reality, she just wanted to scream in agony.

"Must've been that bad."

"I don't get it. They were all priss and vinegar this morning. And they're already back?"

"Well, why bother leaving in the first place?"
"No idea. I'd say by the looks on their faces it should've gone way longer."

"Our taxes hard at work, ladies and gentlemen. Bravo."

Even though Luna has faced these judgments for years, she still couldn't help but be pissed and irritated at their comments. No matter how much she wants to lash out at them, daring them to go out the walls if they even had the guts to do so, instead of cowering behind the walls, she knows she can't.