Twenty-Seven

Jayza spent the afternoon pondering what Tavan had told her. She had absolutely no idea what he could possibly say that hadn't already been said. She was still afraid he was taking too big a risk but after weeks in his company, she knew he was as stubborn as a donkey and if he wanted to speak to her, he was going to find a way to do it. Better to go along with his plan than fight him. After all, what more could they possibly do to her than what she already faced?

Her bewilderment increased when Tavan kept to the same routine after they stopped for the night. He led her away after lifting her off her horse, then bought her back and gave her food before staking her. He walked among his men, stopping periodically to sit and talk before moving on. Jayza assumed he had changed his mind and she curled on her side, torn between feeling happy he had decided not to chance it and disappointed at not being able to speak with him one last time. She had just started to drift off when she suddenly felt herself being pulled up by her hair. Unable to grab it due to her shackling, she scrambled to her knees, afraid Commander Barint had come to make good on his promises. When she heard Tavan's voice boom, she glanced up, her mouth dropping in surprise.

"Last night with the barbarian whore," he announced, making a rude gesture while winking at his men suggestively. "I think I'll sample her delights one last time. What say you, men?"

The men cheered, making lewd suggestions and obscene gestures. Jayza's shocked glance traveled the camp, noting how a few of the men appeared disappointed. And Commander Barint looked positively murderous. The men mistook her stunned expression for fear and cheered even louder, urging their General on while good-naturedly complaining about the unfairness of the situation. Tavan roared with laughter and squatted, deftly undoing the bindings that held her to the stake. Retying them, he hauled her up by her hair once more. Jayza's eyes leaked tears and red crept up her neck. Her humiliation drove everything else out of her mind and she suddenly remembered the man who had backhanded her the first day.

"Move, bitch." Tavan jerked her forward, his hands wrapping themselves in her hair. Turning, he called over his shoulder to his men. "Don't wait up for me. I intend to enjoy this barbarian to the fullest. And to make sure she never forgets what a real man is like." Hauling her forward, he half-dragged her across the field, heading to a small stand of trees. The sound of the men's laughter followed them, and Tavan didn't stop until the campfires had disappeared and the laughter had almost completed faded.

"Tavan..." she cried.

"Shut it, whore." His voice was harsh, and he dragged her into the trees, ignoring her cries of pain. Roughly turning her, he slammed her against a tree and covered her mouth with his. "Remember, Jayza," he breathed over her lips. "Act."

Jayza didn't have to act. Tavan was hurting her. Her scalp stung from where he had pulled her hair and his mouth was bruising her lips. She struggled and he pulled her hands above her head, pinning her to the tree with his body.

"When I tell you, I want you to run. Straight into the field and don't look back. And scream." His voice was nothing more than a breath of wind and he immediately kissed her roughly again before pulling slightly away.

Jayza stilled. He was going to let her escape. Scorched Sands, he was going to let her go.

"Fight me, Jayza. Or we will both die."

Jayza began struggling again. Tavan continued to pin her to the tree, his hands groping. Taking a step back, he looked at her with dark eyes. Stepping forward, he undid the bindings, freeing her hands.

"I much prefer you battering me. Having your hands tied is no fun." He pushed her backwards, once more pinning her.

"Fight me, Jayza, like you're fighting for your life. And when I lift my hand, run."