Twenty-Eight

The ride into Culan was a blur. Jayza was too frightened to notice much of anything. After the night in the woods, Tavan had not said more than a few words to her. Jayza was well aware of the reasons for it, but that didn't make the heartbreak any less. His face would close as soon as he realized she had caught him looking at her, but not before Jayza saw the same pain she was feeling mirrored there. This morning had been even worse. He had refused to put her on her horse, delegating the task to one of the Raptors. Instead, he had stalked among his men, barking orders and criticizing every little misstep. She had no idea if this was normal behavior before every entrance into Culan or if it was something else. Unable to ask anyone, she huddled in her cloak, her First Meal ashes in her mouth. When the Raptor assigned to secure her to the horse approached, she quietly rose and meekly allowed him to tie her to the saddle. It was obvious he was nervous, but she was afraid to reassure him, not certain how he would take it. Or what Tavan would do if he found out. Instead, she bowed her head once, then turned her face forward, trying not to think about what awaited her.

Jayza had expected the ride through Culan to be a nightmare. She was absolutely certain her arrival had been announced and that the walk from the main gate to the palace would be a parade. The reality was far different. She had no idea if Tavan had been given strict orders to keep her entrance quiet or if he was trying to spare her from being mocked and heckled. Either way, she had been surprised by the last stage of the journey.

Tavan had forced the camp up well before dawn. By the time the first fingers of pink stretched across the sky, the main gate was in view. Jayza barely noticed the huge mansions perched along the edge of the deep blue lake. Her eyes were consumed with the massive city that now filled her view. Encircled by a tall stone wall, she could barely make out the roofs of the buildings behind it. Watchtowers were evenly spaced along the top edge, and men could be seen patrolling the walls. In the distance rose a high hill, the Emperor's palace situated atop it. The main gate was thrown open, and when the Raptors approached, the guards saluted, hands to their chests. Tavan barely nodded, continuing on his way even as his men cheered mightily. Very few people were about due to the early hour and the few that were stepped to the side, watching curiously as the cohort trotted past. Jayza heard a few whispers, but no insults were hurled, and no refuse was thrown, leading her to believe the townspeople had no idea who she was.

When Tavan reached the gate to the Emperor's compound, he stopped, wheeling Samson around to face his men.

"Consalto, Raptors!"

"Consalto, Golden Eagle!"

"My dearest Raptors. Your performance over the last several weeks has been exemplary. You have endured hardships unheard of yet remained steadfast and strong, as befits a Raptor. While we mourn the loss of so many of our fellow comrades, the rest of us should all take the time to thank the Gods for our safe return. I, your humble leader, thank you for your continued devotion and loyalty. In gratitude, I am granting you all a three-day reprieve. In addition, each and every one of you will receive a bonus equal to four weeks pay. Your scrip will be available tomorrow after First Meal and you may pick it up at Raptor headquarters. I expect to see you all back for daily training in three days time. Enjoy your holiday and remember to treat the girls as you would your own daughters or wives."

"Long Live Premier General Enyo!" The Raptors were beyond ecstatic, both with the unexpected three days holiday and the bonus. Jayza wondered where Tavan was finding the scrip, then dismissed the thought. It no longer mattered what he did or said. She had her own worries now.

"Dismissed, Raptors." Tavan thumped his right fist on his chest, then raised it in the air. The men cheered again, returning the salute before breaking formation and trotting away. Tavan took the reins to her horse without a word and led her through the palace gate and into the Emperor's compound. Jayza was once again surprised at the lack of a reception. She wondered if Commander Yago had not made it and the Emperor was unaware of her arrival, or if Tavan had timed it so she would already be imprisoned by the time it was announced. The courtyard was empty but for a few slaves, who ducked their heads as Tavan trotted in, scurrying out of the way. Jayza only saw a few guards, all who bowed to Tavan as he passed. She remained quiet, unsure if she should say anything or not, and tried to still the trembling that now shook her very bones.