Fifteen

Silence hung over them, thick and heavy. The only sounds were the chirping of the birds and the distant sounds of the waterfalls striking the pool. Tavan's face was filled with pain and Jayza had no idea how to respond to it. Nor to what he had said. Eventually she rose and skirted the table, dropping at his feet.

"I need to tell you something," she said, placing her hands on his knees. "But you have to promise you will never, ever reveal what I am about to say. Just like what you saw me do with the Kimsan, it must remain between us."

Tavan covered her hands with his. Jayza's eyes were earnest and even though he felt a sinking in his gut, he realized she felt it was imperative he hear out. Hedging, he asked her a question instead.

"Why is it so important? I can't let you go. And I swore to the Emperor that if you revealed the information he was seeking, I would tell him. I have no choice if you do and can't promise to keep it secret, so don't tell me unless you understand what telling me might mean for you."

"It's important Tavan, because it will explain a great many things. And it may make you rethink your oath." Jayza was almost begging, her hands gently pressing into his legs. Tavan didn't have the heart to deny her even though had had meant what he said. If she revealed what he was supposed to find, he would have no choice but to tell the Emperor. And in doing so, seal her fate.

"Jayza, you're talking in riddles. Tell me what you can, what you feel safe in revealing. Then I'll decide if I wish to go further. But if I stop you, you must listen and obey. I have no desire to be the reason you are sentenced to death."

Jayza nodded, her hands becoming less demanding. She rose and resumed her seat, taking time to choose her words carefully.

"Have you ever wondered why a supposed illiterate member from the Ta'njar tribe was given such a huge responsibility? I understand you have no idea what it is I supposedly know, only that you are supposed to find out where this thing is. But don't you find it odd that a simple girl from a town in the middle of the Glajik Desert was entrusted with information that the Emperor deems so important, he had her entire town destroyed? And demanded she be brought directly to him in one piece instead of being sent to Thagim? Aren't you even the least bit curious why? After all, we're supposedly uncouth, uneducated, and nothing more than simple barbarians who can't think for themselves." She held up her hand when he went to protest. "No, Tavan, I am well aware of what the rest of the Seven Lands think of us. We are not allowed to assume any government positions, not even local ones, our education ends when we reach the age of thirteen, and we are never believed, no matter how much evidence points to our innocence. Crimes committed against Ta'njar carry less severe penalties than against any other citizen and often, the party who committed the crime walks away without any punishment at all. Yet I supposedly carried out one so great that it demand's the Emperor's intervention. Why do you think that is?"

"Because nobody would believe you, or any Ta'njar, would be capable of carrying out activities that will lead to a rebellion. Suspicion would be cast on people considered more qualified." Tavan felt the answer was obvious. And he truly believed that was why she, of all the people in Glajik, had been chosen. Because nobody would ever suspect someone like her of committing such grievous crimes.

"Except, supposedly someone reported it was me, did they not?"

"Well, yes, but just because you had what the Emperor wants doesn't mean you knew what it was. Or what it could be used for."

"What if I told you that you were only partially correct? That even if I wasn't aware of what the item was, I understood its importance?" Jayza was bending the truth. She still had no idea what the item she had been given represented. But the simple fact that she was now a prisoner told her it was important.