"I look forward to finding out if you really are a hellcat. I much prefer a fighter than a woman who just lays there."

Jayza turned once more and spat, the gob landing on his cheek. His hand lifted suddenly, and he backhanded her, sending her head reeling and drawing blood where her teeth bit her lip. Tavan heard her cry and stopped, turning Samson around. Seeing the blood on her face, his look turned murderous, and he trotted back. Jayza warned him with her eyes, and he blinked in acknowledgement, not bothering to ask if she was okay.

"What's going on here?" He sat in front of Commander Barint, his face hard as he demanded an answer. Every muscle was tense and Jayza could sense the contained rage he fought to hide.

"The little whore spit on me," Commander Barint replied, sitting up straight at Tavan's approach. "I simply put her in her place." His tone was haughty, and he shot Jayza a dirty look before turning to face Tavan again. Jayza heard Tavan's teeth grind as he clenched his jaw. She lowered her head, hoping it wouldn't come to blows. Tavan protecting her would not help at all.

"The prisoner is to be delivered unhurt, Commander Barint. If you cannot handle her insults, then stay away from her. In fact, it's best if you do so anyway. This way, she can't taunt you and you won't be tempted to strike her again." Tavan's words were clipped and Jayza had the sudden feeling that if it weren't for the rest of his men, he would kill Commander Barint without a second thought. She shrank back, desperately hoping he could keep himself under control. And keep his feelings hidden.

"Yes General Enyo." Commander Barint saluted crisply, his tone deferential. "I just thought..."

"You'd do well to not think, Commander. That's my job. Now resume your place in line." Tavan wheeled Samson, taking his place at the head of the cohort again without bothering to make sure Commander Barint had complied. Tugging the reins of Jayza's horse, he took up the march, his body rigid. Jayza heard Commander Barint curse softly, then his horse's hoof-beats moved away.

"If you have something to say to me," Tavan called over his shoulder, "at least have the courtesy to say it to my face, Commander."

Jayza smiled inwardly at the statement. Tavan had just shown his men that even in his current mood, he was well aware of what was going on behind him. But the feeling didn't last long. If Commander Barint wasn't an enemy of Tavan's before, this little episode would send him further down that path.

Tavan marched for a few more hours before finally calling a halt. The cohort set up a rough camp alongside the road, leaving the lone wagon where it was. Tavan set two men to guard it, then bellowed to the rest that they would leave at first light. Pulling Jayza off her horse, he went to undo the bindings he had tied around her wrists.

"Don't," she whispered, pulling her hands away. "You need to convince your men you don't favor me."

"Are you hurt?" Tavan raised his hand, reaching towards her lip. His eyes were full of concern and Jayza glared, trying to get him to understand he needed to stop worrying about her. Or at least stop being so obvious about it.

"Leave it." She jerked her head away, warning him with her eyes. "I'll be fine. No worse than the one you gave me."

Tavan's hand dropped, and he flinched. He opened his mouth and Jayza shook her head slightly. She heard him sigh and he rearranged his face, appearing hard and unforgiving. Grasping her wrists, he led her into the open field, past the rude camp the men were making. Jayza stumbled along, her legs not wanting to cooperate, and she bit her cheek to keep from crying out. Tavan eventually stopped just out of sight of the camp. Turning to her, he lifted a hand to her face, lightly touching the bruise that was blossoming on her cheek.