chapter 18; mirrors

note: If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original, safe, form, please go to Wattpad. Thank you.

Mental health crisis.

Admittedly, Nora didn't know too much about mental health crises. So when Elijah brought it up, she didn't know what to do with that information. Surely, she couldn't whisk her grandmother away in the middle of the night to a mental health facility or to a doctor that could help her.

Not while she was throwing bowls of hot soup.

So Elijah drove to the house an hour and a half later while the soup on the stove became icy cold and the crackers weren't as crispy as they had been. She led him inside and offered him some soup. He declined at first but when she mentioned she hadn't eaten either, he poured a small portion for himself and then followed Nora into the living room.

Nora sat down near Elijah but on a separate sofa and set the crackers on the table between them.

"I feel so guilty that you came all the way here."

"Really, it's nothing. I was worried about Eleanor. Do you mind if I go and try to talk with her?"

"Yeah sure, I'll reheat your soup when you're back."

"I don't mind," he smiled at her. "I'll be back in a few."

Nora silently dipped her spoon into the soup and sipped it while Elijah made his way upstairs. He knocked on the door softly before opening on it. The lights were off so Eleanor awoke to a shadowy figure in her doorway. Her eyes were still sore from crying so she squinted, holding her hand above her head to shield the relentless light that poured in from the corridor.

"Henry, is that you?"

Elijah closed the door behind him, making sure that he was alone. Stepping over the bowl and spilled soup, he walked a little further into the room.

"Henry?"

"I'm not Henry."

Eleanor froze, trying to remember his voice.

Elijah finally switched the light on and Eleanor gasped at the sight of him. She sat up and pushed her back against the bedframe.

"It's been a while," he paused. "I'm just here to see how you're doing."

"How did you get inside?"

Elijah chose not to respond but instead focus on her. He got closer and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Tell me, Eleanor. What is it that you're worried about?"

She stared at him, wide eyed for a moment before blinking and looking down at her hands. "I'm losing my house and my life."

"Why?" the corners of his eyes crinkled, thoughtfully.

"They want to take away my independence and force me out of this house. But it's my house and I'll never leave it."

"Eleanor, you know that isn't true," he shook his head.

"It's what always happens. I'm not blind, I see the way my own family acts around me. By staying here, I am burdening them."

"Your granddaughter is here because she loves you and wants to spend time with you," he clarified. "You shouldn't have thrown the soup."

"Why did you come here?"

"Because the way you're acting will drive away the only person who sincerely loves you. And well, I wanted to see you, too."

Eleanor looked sideways, as if there was someone else in the room. The figure shook its head at her. Elijah kept his eyes on her, unfaltering.