Wednesday #1

Lunacy was, as a matter of course, reduced to a mere echo. No men dared to misbehave at the risk of one's life, and the few remaining mobs had finally lost faith or become engulfed by the definitive message of desperation. Many have chosen to cease to be, and such choices were respected amongst others who soon were to follow.

All the streets could bestow were rolling balls of dust and cinder.

Two days – just two more days. I believed that soon this desolation would cease to be, as did the ones who refused to fight on.

Early in the morning, I stood in front of the window of her cell, closed shut and firm – which was strange because the window was always left open. I gently tapped on the window a few times – yet I never heard the unanticipated response granting my entry.

Knowing the consequences, I turned back, without much resentment or grievance.

***

Today is the day.

Freedom awaits. And through vengeance, I shall be free.

But will this be the end? No, one would never be enough. My brother had two progeny – both were murderers. Not one, but two.

I looked over – the guardian of hers still hasn't returned. Now, not later, tomorrow, future, but now, was the moment.

***

There was something that I was not aware of, that made the scent stronger.

What could it possibly be?

My fingers searched for the shiv. It twisted and wiggled inside my pocket, and it was there.

What I've done was necessary.

I needed a spur. A motivation... Then blood will truly be everywhere, just like its scent. Some sort of meaning will be bestowed, and maybe I'll finally get to understand.

But, what did I really miss out on?

***

I was able to find some margarine from the bottom of a nameless corpse. Upon the sky, the colors were instigating a lawless riot, upon where unable men would remain unable.

I had to make haste – I had to break a promise. I was persuaded that I had a greater purpose of pursuing, which its reality remained as an unsolved conundrum...

Yesterday night, I offered the stranger a plan, and the murderer accepted without deliberation.

I was guided by a distinct idea of taking Beth to the Labyrinth, where everyone will be able to confront the long-yearned truth. There, all four of us will be ready. They agreed to what I've requested but asked for the bodies.

The moments I've spent, the work I've done, the friend I have made. Everything, at last, will come to a meaningful end.

The sins were not mine to be born anymore. I could finally earn the prize I rightfully deserved, I thought – I also naively believed that failure will not hinder my doings any longer. Perhaps all of this was meant to be – my friend should have been dead all along. For I was a coward, it was a nobility that I was unable to single-handedly execute.

It was still but a divine comedy.

***

Our lives will always progress forward. No matter how much meaning you apply to it. Until we meet our end, we have to progress our lives in some way, whether we like it or not.