Chapter 2

Grayson's POV

We were walking to the Red Keep to see if there were any survivors. Luke, Drake, Maya, and me were taking the path to the right of my house.

We were talking about random things like what are we gonna do there when we actually get there.

All of a sudden, we saw an explosion come from beneath the trees. We heard a bloodcurdling scream.

"Should we check it out?" Maya asked.

"Yeah, but lets be careful." Drake said. We all nodded and headed toward the serpent of smoke coming from the canopy.

~20 minutes later~

We had almost arrived at the house. How did I know? I could smell smoke. When we got to a distance where we could see the house, we saw 2 guys from the Empire. Mercenaries. Then we saw a girl on the ground, blood gushing from her head. The guys were about to pick her up. She looked innocent. I shot the two guys in the head, they both fell down on the ground, dead. I looked at my comrades, then the air-ship then back at them. They all nodded in agreement. They took out their bows and aimed them at the ship.

"Fire." I whispered.

We fired and the ship went down. Hard. After the ship went down and it exploded, we checked on the girl. She was still breathing. She's a miracle. I offered to pick her up.

"Why not? But let me patch up her head first." Luke said. I nodded.

After Luke finished patching her head up, I gently picked her up, bridal style, then we headed back to Drakes old house. Once we got there, I set her down in Armen's old bed. It was really cold out. She was freezing when I picked her up. I have her an instant Health potion droplet. She was starting to get better. Her breathing started to get back to normal. I left the room to go get some water for all of us.

When I came back, I saw movement in the mystery girls room/ Armen's room. I told Maya, Drake and Luke not to go in there. That was my first thought. Then I thought that she might be awake. I ran into her room. I saw the girl looking like she was trying to find something. But she immediately stopped when she saw me, standing in the doorway, staring at her. She gasped and fell backwards, into the corner. She curled into a ball and buried her face in her knees. She started to cry.

"Please, just take anything you want, just please don't hurt me." She said.

"Hey, hey. It's ok. I'm not gonna hurt you." I said, in a calm, soothing voice. She didn't say anything after that. I decided to offer her water and food. I got up and left the room. The girl, of course, stayed. I got her an apple and some bread. I also got her some water. I came back into the room, the girl was still in the corner. She looked at me with fear in her eyes. I sat down close to her, but not that close. She tried to scoot away from me again. But she was already against the wall. I looked deep into her eyes.

"Do you want some food?" I asked her.

"Oh! Yes please!" She exclaimed. U gave her the food and the water. She took it and began eating it.

"You must be hungry!" I said, after she finished her apple.

"Oh yes. Thank you!" She said. I smiled.

"No problem. What's your name?" I asked. She looked at me.

"Jinx." She said.

"That's a pretty name." I said. She blushed.

"What's yours? I must know the guy who saved my life after the stupid mercenaries came and tried to take my diamond." She glared when she said mercenaries.

"Grayson. And you hate the Empire?" I asked.

"Oh, don't get me started on them. They took away my sister! Then I heard the Empire killed her because she was too weak to work. I want to get revenge." I was surprised at her answer.

"Wait.. You hate the Empire too?" She asked.

"They...they killed my wife and son." I said, "And I have something they want."

"The dragon egg?" She stated before I could utter a word.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I kind of recognized your name because of all the flyers around the Red Keep." Jinx said. "But I promise to keep it a secret." She finished.

"Thanks." I said.

"No, thank you." She said, looking deep into my eyes. Jinx was no longer in the corner. She was now sitting cross-legged across from me. I was glad that she could trust me. All of a sudden, the door slowly creaked open. I didn't have the time to turn to see who it was when an object hit my head and making me pass out.