Silence In The Library

Start from the beginning

"Scanning for life forms. If I do a scan looking for your basic humanoids. You know, your book readers, few limbs and a face, apart from us, I get nothing. Zippo, nada. See? Nobody home. But if I widen the parameters to any kind of life." The screen says Error 1,000,000,000,000 lifeform number capped at maximum record. "A million, million. Gives up after that. A million, million." Theta repeats with a frown on his face, I though couldn't get over the fact that he was lying to me and hiding something from me. "But there's nothing here. There's no one." Donna uttered looking around to prove her point. "And not a sound. A million. million life forms, and silence in the library." I muttered out as Theta looked towards me, I shot him a look which caused him to wince. "But there's no one here. There's just books. I mean, it's not the books, is it? I mean, it can't be the books, can it? I mean, books can't be alive." They both reach slowly for a book but a voice makes us all jump.

"Welcome."

"That came from here."

"Yeah."

We return to the mostly empty room, a vaguely humanoid sculpture by a curved desk turns its head and speaks with a female voice from a small face on its surface. "I am Courtesy Node seven one zero slash aqua. Please enjoy the Library and respect the personal access codes of all your fellow readers, regardless of species or hygiene taboo." It spoke robotically, "That face, it looks real." Donna gasped as I cocked my head to the side at the sight of it. "Yeah, don't worry about it." Theta uttered out causing me to frown, but it was real. Something was happening here an it wasn't good. "A statue with a real face, though? It's a hologram or something, isn't it?" Donna asked, "No, but really, it's fine." Theta insisted, I finally caught onto what he was saying. He wasn't trying to ignore it, he was trying to make sure Donna didn't flip out when she found out it was a real human face. "Additional. There follows a brief message from the Head Librarian for your urgent attention. It has been edited for tone and content by a Felman Lux Automated Decency Filter. Message follows. Run. For God's sake, run. No way is safe. The library has sealed itself, we can't. Oh, they're here. Argh. Slarg. Snick. Message ends. Please switch off your mobile comm. units for the comfort of other readers."

"So that's why we're here. Any other messages, same date stamp?" Theta asked the human node, "One additional message. This message carries a Felman Lux coherency warning of five zero eleven..." It continued on causing Theta to roll his eyes in annoyance. "Yeah, yeah, fine, fine, fine. Just play it." He grumbled out, "Message follows. Count the shadows. For God's sake, remember, if you want to live, count the shadows. Message ends." Our eyes widened as we made eye contact with each other. I gripped Fay a little tighter, I really hope it wasn't what we thought it was. "Donna?" Theta called back to her, "Yeah?" She asked turning to face him.

"Stay out of the shadows."

"Why, what's in the shadows?"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"So, We weren't just in the neighborhood." Donna spoke with a raised eyebrow at him. "Yeah, I kind of, sort of lied a bit. I got a message on the psychic paper." He holds it up, it reads - The library come as soon as you can. x - I frowned at the paper, "What do you think? Cry for help?" Theta asked looking towards me with a certain look causing me to frown. "Cry for help with a kiss?" I asked him back, "Who's it from?" Donna asked at the same time as me. "Well I hope it's Kate. In the future, she used to do that to me all the time. Made for some exciting se..." I immediately smacked my hand over his mouth as Donna rolled her eyes in disgust. "I don't think it was me, my love." I told him gently causing him to frown and pout, "But you always leave kisses." He whined out grumpily, "I leave two kisses an one hug, plus I'm more specific about things." I told him with a smirk causing him to immediately blush and nod. "Your right. Not you. So who?" He uttered lowly with a frown at the paper. "So why did we come here? Why did you..." Theta spotted something behind us, immediately making me to turn around. "Donna." I breathed out, The lights behind us are going out.