3 - Keep Breathing

"Shall I wear this one?" Fox held up a black shirt showing Cheshire's teeth and eyes, followed by a white one with brightly colored cassette tapes. "Or this one? Or..."

With a loud grunt, Safira laid back on Fox's bed. "You're even worse than the girls from my House," she complained, staring at the ceiling. 

She already regretted promising Fox to take him to the party. On the brighter side—the more time it took him to finally decide what he was going to wear, the shorter they'd be at the party itself. On second thought, she believed it was a very bad idea to introduce him to Kris. They would only make fun of him. 

Fox heaved a deep sigh. "I'm so nervous it makes me feel sick."

"Let's stay here," Safira tried, feeling hopeful. She sat up straight. Her friend did look pale. She wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been able to eat all day. "Let's watch the Maze Runner."

Fox shook his head. "No—I just need to bite the bullet. Otherwise, I'll never be with him."

You're never going to be with him anyway.  

She however kept her thoughts to herself. She could tell it to him a hundred times; it didn't land anyway. 

In the end, Fox pulled the dark shirt over his head and stood in front of the mirror. 

"If you change shirts one more time I'll jump out of the window."

Fox stuck out his tongue. "That's little impressive for someone who can change into a dragon."

He seemed to be content with the Cheshire shirt and raked his fingers through his curls. "I came up with four topics to talk about. Superheroes, interesting places to visit, food, and music. That's a good start, right?"

"I never thought that you would need a supply of conversation topics," she noticed. 

His cheeks flushed. "Well—I hope it helps me deal with the nervousness."

Safira suppressed a sigh. His expectations were way too high. She already felt sorry for him and they hadn't even left the bedroom. 

"What you're gonna do when he doesn't want to talk to you?" she asked. "Sometimes... he's in a mood like that."

"Is he often sad?" Fox asked. The innocence on his face almost physically hurt her. "Maybe I can cheer him up with my gift! Everyone feels better after cuddling a kitten or a puppy, right?"

Oh Fox... she thought, sighing. Kris would rather throw puppies than cuddle them. 

"No," she answered. "Not sad. Sometimes he's just a jerk."

"But that has to be for a reason too."

Frustrated, Safira ran a hand through her hair. Pretending to be a shrink sounded like a very bad idea. Why was it Kris he liked—of all people? What was wrong with a small sweet girl or a shy boy? Someone who blushed just as easily as he, who would smile about every stupid joke? No—instead, Fox went after a dude with a bad boy vibe one could feel miles away. 

"Let's go," she muttered. "And don't let 'em get to you, huh. Don't drink too much alcohol, no matter how pushy my classmates are. You're only 15."

"No," Fox said quickly. "I don't want to puke over his shoes. Like I did with Fire when celebrating my first exam. Although I'm sure it will leave an unforgettable impression."

"Trust me, transforming into a piggy left quite an impression too."

A red glow spread across his cheeks. "I hope he forgot about that."