Chapter 7 ~ Home

A/N: Written in Adriana's POV. Also, for those who were asking, the switch between "Aunt Rebekah" and "Rebekah" is due to Adriana still adjusting to being back home. Remember to vote, comment, and add if you haven't already! Love! xoxo H

Slamming the glass back on the table, I let out a long breath, closing my eyes in hopes that everything around me will just disappear. The burn of the liquor on my tongue is a painful reminder that things won't disappear that easily.

A warm hand touches my shoulder and I look over to see my Mom standing there, looking at me lovingly. "Hey, baby girl," she hugs me tightly for the tenth time since I got home, but there is a warmth in it.

A warmth that I've missed for what seems like forever. I wrap my arms around her and hold her close, smiling at the familiarity of her scent, touch, and warmth. I close my eyes and lean into her arms, a part of me never wanting the hug to end. It felt like I was finally whole again, and that was something I never wanted to end. But, like all things, it came to an end.

She releases me and pulls back before raising a hand to my hair and touching it, "You look good as a brunette," she smiles softly.

Nodding, I place my hand over hers lovingly, "I missed you, Mom," tears swell up in my eyes as the emotions and feelings I've surprised come rushing back, "I-I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen! I just wanted... I just thought..."

She places her hands on both sides of my face, "I know, baby girl. I know. It's just... Hard, to go from one emotional point to another. A part of me still expects this to fall apart somehow."

My eyes snap up to hers, a frantic rush of emotions hits me, wanting to soothe this worry and make her feel comfortable again. I step away, her hands falling from my face, "It won't. I'm not invincible in this body, I know that. But I have precautions set in place just in case, and I have a plan to get back in my original body. All I need is-"

"Enough," she places a hand on the side of my face, "You're home. That's all that matters to me, Adriana," she tucks my hair behind my ear, "You're so strong. But you don't have to carry all this on your own anymore. I am here for you. We are here for you. Let us in - let us help." Her green eyes look deep into mine, and she really does mean what she says.

Nodding I give her a small smile, grateful for her motherly nature that I missed so much, "Okay. I love you, mom."

"I love you too, sweetie." She hugs me again, and someone clears their throat from behind us.

We release each other and look over at the new person in the room, which is Uncle Elijah. Mom smiles at him and he returns the smile, and I raise one eyebrow curiously.

Am I missing something? I think to myself curiously. But the confusion on my face is replaced with a smirk since I'll figure it out eventually.

Elijah looks a little nervous, and he shifts his weight to one side, "Hayley. If you don't mind, I would like to have a word with my niece?" He states the sentence in the form of a question as if he is asking her permission.

She glances at me and gives my hand a quick squeeze, and I return the sweet sentiment. She looks back Elijah and nods, "Sure. I'll uh, be in the living room if you need me." She then walks out, only pausing for a second next to Elijah, before leaving the room.

Elijah turns and closes the office doors before turning to face me. "I am thrilled to have you home, but there is still business to discuss before we can celebrate." He states, his demeanor switching from familial to business.

I nod, understanding where he's coming from. A side of me is relieved to not be talking about my feelings and take my mind off of coming home. "Of course. What are you thinking?" I pour both of us a glass of bourbon and extend one to him.