~ 9 ~

Yu Yan studied the knotted compact wires and their respectful ports and bundles. He blindly reached out for a cable above his head and inserted the into the antique USB port. It took him quite some time to order such an outdated cable from an antique collector in the Star Network.

He plugged the other end to his terminal, a small window immediately popping up with streaming words and numbers. It was the cryofreezer's code.

Yu Yan thought about how this ancient thing doesn't even have a proper interface, nor a firewall or an encryption; clearly forgetting that he didn't even know what a firewall meant several months back.

He clicked his tongue. It's one of the greatest wonders of the Galactic Alliance that this thing has even managed to resist until now. Though if you think about it, the less sophisticated machinery tended to be more resilient and durable sometimes, with a long lifespan.

(A/N: Pre-historic Nokia, anybody?)

"YanYan", a head peeked into the room.

"Oh." Yu Yan grabbed the edges of the cryofreezer and pushed himself out from underneath, the wheels of his creeper fluidly fishing him out.

A hand stops the top of the creeper from moving further, letting Yu Yan sit up.

"Do you really have the time for this? Aren't you worried about the entrance exam?"

"It'll be fine, Old Tin", Yu Yan smiled. "There's still time anyways."

Old Tin was the Trite's mechanic. Yu Yan treated this man, who was older than his Captain, like his older uncle.

In any case, all the men aboard the Trite are either called young uncle or old uncle. Except Kenji. Kenji was Kenji.

The worrywart of an old man had taught Yu Yan how to use the tools and where to find the toolboxes on the ship.

Old Tin had howled in laughter at how Yu Yan turned the whole mechanic's room upside down in search of wrench, and then howled some more at the child that had a look of befuddlement when he tapped a sequence on the wall to pop out a wide table and a wall aligned with various tools came out.

The Yu Yan of that time just wanted a wrench. After seeing the pop up workplace, he still wanted the wrench, however, he also wanted to use it to unbolt the whole wall and place it unto his cabin's wall instead. Him, who now had a big cabin, a mini digital library, a simulation-room-turned-clinic, and a storage room for the cryofreezer, stared at the workstation with longing.

Nyx: Keep up the pace and Yu Yan just might end up owning the whole Triton one day.

That day, a ping had sounded from the terminals of almost everyone aboard the Triton ship. An upload notification! Very quickly, they opened the shared database and saw a moving 3D graphics of Yu Yan's face slowly, artfully, morphing into shocked confusion. Right next to the file name was the uploader—Tin.

The Trite Pirate's 'YanYan is bestest baby' group chat exploded!

Old Tin: I'm not so old that I don't know how to make a 3DGiphy ah. :))

Yu Yan walked to his work table and uploaded the code from his terminal to his tablet. He tossed the all-in-one screwdriver in his hand into the air.

"Help me clean up", he said to a robotic arm. The robotic arm helper enthusiastically waved its arm up and down, as if nodding.

The sensor on the wall had an command function, that when activated, would detect the electromagnetic signature of human touch. If a tool had this signature, it would disable the magnetic lock on the tools but to attract all tools to the wall when enabled.