{38} Goodbye, Friend.

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry, dad." Willow smiles, kneeling for the RV's ladder.

"Willow..." Dale suddenly began, shifting in his chair. Willow couldn't see him fully, just his silhouette, but she could feel the emotions shimmering from Dale. "I'm not just saying that for your health or even mine. Be careful with Dixon. He isn't a bad man, but -" Dale hesitated for an instant, searching for the right words. "He has his problems."

Willow held onto the string of her bow, searching Dale's outline. What could he mean? Without a word, she climbs down the ladder and trails behind Daryl with the flashlight shining his crossbow.

Until their shadows disappeared in the trees, Dale looked back up at the sky. Pandering Dixon and Willow.

"The universe doesn't make mistakes."

****

Willow carefully took the blindfold over Randal's swollen eyes. She hadn't seen the recent result of Daryl's beating, and as she examined him, Willow's stomach turned. Randal mumbled a few pleas as Dixon unchained Randal's ankle, keeping his wits about the boy and the woman beside him. Every chance Dixon got, he looked over at Willow to make sure she was stable.

"You okay?" Daryl whispered as he pulled Randal to his feet and pushed him towards Shane.

Wiping her hands across her thighs, Willow nods. Not sure what to say, the woman slips from out of the shed where Randal had been held and follows Shane. With Rick at the front with a lantern in hand, Shane and Willow pursued closely. Daryl, not too far behind, took hold of Randal, and every second - Dixon pushes at the boy's back, causing him to stumble onward.

"Hold on. Hold on. Hold on," Randal breathed. The anxiety and realization are getting to him. No matter what he says, the group continues their stride. Moments later, Rick tore open the barn door, pointed at the middle of the building, and ordered Daryl to place the young man. Randal begs, tripping over his feet, looking at Daryl then Willow for some sympathy.

With some help from Daryl, Shane snatched Randal by the shoulder and forced the blindfold from before back over Randal's eyes.

As Shane roughly whispered to him, "it's all gonna be over soon." Willow stood like stone, unable to move any further.

"Would you like to stand or kneel?" Rick questioned, his blue eyes shimmering in the dull light like a wild feline. Only cries came from Randal as his wrist twisted and turned, knees wobbling as he blindly took steps.

Only five seconds went by, and Daryl decided for Randal, shoving him down onto his knees as Rick readied himself to murder a man.

Willow's fingers began to rub awkwardly together. A deep regret punched the middle of her stomach as she watched the scene continue onward. Rick points his gun, and Willow lowly gasps as if she expected Rick to finish the task instantly. Shane would have. Maybe Daryl too. But just as Willow, Rick hesitates. Something about this wasn't sitting right with him.

Daryl placed his hands on his hips and waited.

Shane kept his menacing gaze on Randal.

Willow began to step forward, a second decision coming to mind.

This shouldn't be the way. Not this. Not like this. She is about to speak. However, Carl's eager voice comes from behind her.