Chapter Two

"So I'm not going to be able to hang out tonight." Cameron said as they walked down the halls.

"Why not?"

"My dad wants to do a family dinner."

"Well that sounds nice. I know he's been busy lately."

"Yeah. It'll be nice to get some time with him."

"Well tell the family hi for me."

"Will do."

Dinah saw Courtney enter the home-ec classroom. "Hey, I'll catch up with you later."

"Okay."

Dinah walked over to the home-ec door and opened it.

"Uh, hi." Courtney said.

"I don't believe we've met. I'm Dinah." Dinah said, holding out her hand.

"Courtney." Courtney replied, shaking her hand.

"So Courtney, funny thing. I saw you last night at the drive-in messing with Henry's car. Then the craziest thing happened, this stick you were holding started glowing and caused the car to explode." Dinah said with a chuckle.

"I think you have me mistaken for someone else." Courtney said nervously.

"I'm going to cut right to the chase. How'd you get the cosmic staff Courtney. I mean I know your stepdad has it but how'd you find it and get it to work?"

"How'd you know-"

"About all of that? Well since you found it, I'm sure you know it belonged to someone named Starman that was on a team called the Justice Society of America, or the JSA for short. And I'm sure you know your stepdad was a part of said team and that's why he had the staff. And now you're wondering how I know all of this? Well my mom was on the team. She was Black Canary. And my dad is a detective that helped the team out when he could and they needed it."

"Wow, I can't believe there's another legacy here in Blue Valley."

"Another legacy? What are you talking about?"

"I'm Starman's daughter."

"You're Starman's daughter?"

"Yeah. It all lines up. The night most of the JSA members were killed was the night my father disappeared. Plus the staff works for me."

"Okay." Dinah said unconvinced.

"Brainwave found me." Courtney said, changing the subject.

"Brainwave is here in Blue Valley?" Dinah asked. "I have to tell my dad."

"Yeah. And I'm going to stop him. Which is why I'm in here, I'm modifying the Starman suit."

"You're going to take Brainwave on by yourself?"

"Well that was my plan."

"It's not anymore. I want to help."

"Okay."

"I'll drive us to my house when we finish and we can find my mom's old suit."

"So was that guy you were talking to in the hallway your boyfriend?" Courtney asked as she looked out the passenger window of Dinah's car.

"Cameron? No. He's just my best friend. He's like a brother to me."

"Oh okay."

"Do you like Blue Valley so far?"

"It's different. Much more quiet and everyone knows each other."

"You're right about that." Dinah said with a chuckle.

"So this is my house. We have a gym out back in the detached garage. My parents built it and made it soundproof so my mom could practice with her power and train."

"That's cool."

"Let's go try and find the suit."

"I like this one a lot but the long coat I feel would get in my way. Let me try this other one on."

Dinah left the room and came back a few minutes later with the suit on.

"I can't believe it fits." Dinah said, admiring herself in the mirror. She started tearing up thinking about her mother in the suit when there was a knock at the door.

"Sweetheart- oh I didn't realize we had a guest. And you found your mother's suit." Larry said, letting out a sigh.

"Hey dad, this is Courtney, Pat's stepdaughter. I found her at school and we got to talking about everything. She said Brainwave is in Blue Valley."

"He is?"

"He attacked me last night." Courtney responded.

"Well that could be alarming. We'll keep an eye out."

"I'm going to help her dad."

"You're what?"

"I'm going to help her. She can't do it alone."

"You kids don't understand what you're getting yourselves into. I can't let you Di."

"Dad, she needs my help. Brainwave threatened her at parent's night. He wants her to return the staff."

Larry let out a sigh. "I'm not going to win this am I?"

"No. I'm going to help her no matter what you say. If Brainwave is in Blue Valley, then the other ISA members might be as well. Dad, we might be able to find Icicle and put him behind bars for killing mom."

Larry was quiet for a minute then sighed. "Fine. I assume Pat is helping out and I will be too."

"Thank you dad." Dinah said, hugging Larry.

"You're so much like your mother."

Later on that evening, Courtney and Dinah flew on the cosmic staff to where Pat was with S.T.R.I.P.E. They saw that Brainwave was about to attack Pat and Courtney shot a blast out of the staff and they both jumped off of it. 

"I'm Stargirl, that's my sidekick," she said pointing to S.T.R.I.P.E., "and that's my team member."

"Black Canary." Dinah said.

Courtney and Dinah flipped at they dodged the debris Brainwave was throwing at them and Courtney shot a blast at Brainwave. She tried to shoot another one but accidentally shot the school sign, breaking it.

Brainwave sent a telekinetic blast at Courtney, resulting in Courtney being shot back. Dinah sent out a sonic scream that temporarily stopped Brainwave while Courtney shot a blast from the staff at him. The blast knocked him out, sending him to the ground.

"Is everyone okay?" Courtney asked.

"Yeah but what do we do with him?" Dinah asked, pointing at Brainwave.