Chapter Twenty-Nine

The combination of the sun in my eyes, and the gentle knocking at the door woke me

The combination of the sun in my eyes, and the gentle knocking at the door woke me. Which would have been a pleasant experience if not for the warm arm strung over my body. The warm arm of the man who wasn't my fiancé, strung over my body, instead of somewhere else, say his own bed!

"Cyrus!" I panicked, rolling within the sheets. "Cyrus, love!" I sang again, "My Sword, we fell asleep!" I rocked him hurriedly. "Willem!"

Finally his eyes were open, and his felt the urgency I did. "What time is it?"

"Svana? Are you alright?" Josie asked.

"Fuck," Cyrus spat.

I gasped, "Language!"

"Sorry," he got up, digging around through the mess of blankets and pillows we'd created. "Fuck."

"I hear noises, are you hurt?"

"Uhh," I scurried to the door, pulling one of the blankets around my body. "Just a minute!"

"She cannot find me here," he worried.

"Not a lot of options, dear Cyrus." Finally, I held the knob, ready, speaking somewhat louder. "Are you alone?" I asked.

"Am I alone?" she said.

"Yes."

"Svana," she paused. "This doesn't feel right, I'm getting Daniel!"

"Or," I opened the door and grabbed her, yanking her into the room. The lock went right back into place, and Josie shrieked, catching sight of the half naked man near the foot of my bed. "We could leave Daniel out of the dance."

She covered her mouth, her horror twisting into an innocent giggle, and after a long look at Cyrus fastening his pants, I slapped her arm.

"Jocelyn!"

She averted her face, struggling to keep it straight.

"Not a word," I spat.

"Mm," she cleared her throat, then thought to move on to helping us find our things. She handed me the first layer. "I see you enjoyed the night."

"My sincerest apologies, Miss Josie," Cyrus said, pulling on his shirt. "You should not have to see me like this."

"You'll hear no complaints from me," she grinned. "I'm sure Miss Svana feels quite similar."

"Josie," I whispered.

"Sorry," she laughed.

I took a deep breath. "I need you to make sure Mr. Evergreen gets out of this room without notice."

"Of course," she said.

"It is incredibly important," I stressed.

"Oh, I am aware," she snickered.