Chapter Six

Lady Rose was much more vocal than any other women I had met

Lady Rose was much more vocal than any other women I had met. Which was saying a lot, as I was often the loudest voice in a room. She went on and on about a lady's purpose, and all the things that we might play together as the sisterly pair was often here on grounds. A game; something to do with horseshoes, drifted us into a much more hushed pattern of speech as Rose ventured onto the topic of handsome men in and near the court.

"Lord Barington is always the first to fall in Shoes, I'm afraid. He is intelligent in most things; however, strategy is not his forté, I would say," one of the women noted.

"No. No one would accuse him of being a good shot either," Rose remarked. "But he is fine to look at."

"One of many pleasant faces," Agatha said.

"That scruffy fellow that follows him isn't bad either," her sister teased. "The one with the dark hair. What's his name, Aggy?"

"I've never played Shoes," I added, determined to avoid the mention of whom they spoke. "How do you win?"

They looked at me and partially sighed. "She thinks the rules matter!" Rose laughed.

Agatha smacked her sister's arm. "His name is Cyrus."

"That's it! The ostler fellow. I'd take him for a ride if-"

"He's actually a swordsmaster," I interrupted, quickly biting my tongue. "Or something of the sort... But not an ostler." The girls stared at me. "In case you wanted to know."

After a silence, Agatha came to my rescue. "There are no rules to Shoes." She touched me as a friend and then looked around the room. "It's anything goes, you'll see."

"I-"

"And you'll behave, Rosie. Cyrus is engaged to one of Swift ladies."

"Engaged?" I asked. "Who in the world woul-?"

One of the girls shook her head, "What's this? Aggy's gossip out-dated?"

The sisters frowned, turning to each other, and shrinking the accuser well into her shoes.

"It's just..." she explained. "Lydia... and Cyrus parted. Is all. Over Winter,"

Rose paused, "Surprised it took so long. She-"

The blonde stood a little taller; something catching her eye. She smiled as sweetly as I thought possible before excusing herself from our audience. "I'll return shortly. I think I see my father summoning me."

"A shame. They were well suited for each other, I always thought," I heard Rose conclude.

I wondered what kind of woman would find herself engaged to a man like Cyrus. He was rough. A proven fabricator... and sure, he was kind to staff but he-!