Chapter 18 - This stage is for revenge

Ashley gaped like a fool when she saw her father walk up the stage with the help of a cane. His eyes were glued at Gio without hiding his hostility.

"This gentleman is?" the host asked uncertainly.

This was not supposed to happen in today's program. She glanced at the director, but he gestured to continue the show. Today was perhaps the highest rating episode, not only because of Sean's identity as the episode's special judge but also because of the sudden plagiarism issue.

If not for Kyle already notifying the director first, the latter would not have accepted the changes that readily.

"Advin Summer, the original creator of Winter's Breath," Sean introduced.

Gio's fans started yelling and claimed Mr. Summer was lying and faking it, much to Ashley's annoyance. But the cameraman was having the fun of his life, as he attentively picked out the most emotional viewers of the crowd to film.

"I am the Head Chef of the Summer Diners." Advin Summer stood tall on the stage, fearlessly staring down at the crowd that sought to condemn him. "I've got to know Gio Aiolos because he had dated my daughter before and used her to get close to me. I was also foolish, thinking he's a good man with a clean appearance and revealed my recipes when he asked me. One of the recipes includes my 'Winter's Breath'. Not only did he learn my recipes, but he also used trickery and brought down my restaurant, claiming few of my recipes as his."

Some viewers who had heard of Summer Diners and even went there to eat immediately believed Advin, because his restaurant was unique with its menu, and also because they knew who he was. Those in the know slowly leaned towards Advin's side.

"Without proof, it's hard to say who is stealing from who," Mark said heavily.

"Then why don't we see once we judge Mr. Summer's 'Winter's Breath'?" Sean suggested with a small smile. His posture was full of confidence of who will be the winner.

"I agree," Hollock said. He vaguely wonders why Advin Summer's name was so familiar but was unable to recall. Regardless, a familiar name means he must be someone in the food industry and he should not dismiss Mr. Summer that quickly.

If Mr. Summer was right that Gio had stolen his recipe, they should not hide it from the public. Their integrity as professional chefs would not allow them to help a liar.

"Doesn't hurt to try, doesn't it, Mark?" Sean asked and Mark shot him a glare.

Mark glanced at the director that made no move to stop the progress. "Fine! But he will have to make it right before our eyes like how Gio does!"

Ashley's breathing became smoother as her hope resurfaced. She knew that once they tasted her dad's 'Winter's Breath', they would know the truth!

The other competitor left their station for Mr. Summer to use since they had already lost the competition. Their bitterness from losing was overtaken by their curiosity and looked forward to seeing what would happen to Gio Aiolos.

To everyone's surprise, Advin Summer did not only make 'Winter's Breath', but also two other dishes. They were the same as what Gio had made. Her father truly went all out to tear off Gio's smug face!

The live show was supposed to have already ended, but with Advin Summer's arrival, it was extended. Strangely, the TV station had also let it continue to broadcast.

But the viewers did not mind it, patiently waiting for Mr. Summer to finish cooking while clashing words with Gio's fans.

Ashley was irritated that the cameraman often films the clashing viewers, but when her father was about to finish, the cameraman no longer films the crowd. Everyone in the set was already captured by the delicious smell, finding their stomach growling in hunger.

When the dishes were served to the judges, they did not bother saying polite words and just went straight to tasting the food that stirs their appetite. No one bothered about Gio's ugly face, but no one also allowed him to leave.

Ashely softly laughed as she watched the judges' blissful expression as they tasted her father's cooking. They were busy eating and seemed to have forgotten their job. They also tasted the 'Winter's Breath', and from their expression, they were completely satisfied with what they tasted.

"This is one of the dishes I've ever tasted!" Hollock exclaimed after the director told the host to get them to speak.

"This is even better than Gio's," Mark admitted reluctantly and his previously approving gaze at Gio was a shade lesser. Although there was no solid proof, one could not lie to a tongue.

"Mr. Summer's dishes are much more refined than Mr. Aiolos's. It's like comparing a matured product to a beginner's," Hollock commented after drinking water. "... All three of the dishes."

A loud buzz came from the crowd, and this time the hatred was directed to Gio. Gio was looking rather pale and green.

Ashley wanted him to pay more, but this was enough to smear his name and unable to make a comeback. It would be even better if his license was revoked.

"But Mr. Donovan, you could not possibly have known what dishes Mr. Aiolos is going to bring out for today's program. How did you know?" the host asked Sean eagerly.

"In truth, this is related to my personal matter." Sean did not answer about how he got the information.

"Personal? This stage is for revenge?"

Sean laughed. "You can say that, but this revenge is for someone else's behalf."

The host quickly came to a conclusion. "You must be great friends with Mr. Summer!"

"You could say that. But the one I'm helping is actually for the woman that I love, and never stop loving till now."

Ashley felt something shake in her when he saw the gentle vulnerability in his eyes.

"So this is for Jean Wander, your wife?" the host asked with a smile.

"No, this is for Ashley Summer. We are together again after four years of separation."

"Are you and Jean going to divorce?" the host asked loudly as the crowd was getting louder and the sounds of the camera clicking increased frenzy. This show no longer resembles a tasting program, but a gossiping show.

For Sean Donovan to announce his new love, does that mean he was cheating? Does he have an affair behind his wife's back?

Just as the crowd wanted to know, so did Ashley, her body already frozen with her mind buzzing from the sudden information.

"Yes, our divorce is already halfway completed."

"Who is Ashley Summer? Are you cheating?" someone yelled.

"I did not cheat in my marriage. The divorce is mutual and I will be reuniting with my first love." Sean ignored other questions and went to help Advin walk away from the stage.

Gio Aiolos has been completely forgotten aside by the crowd.

Some guessed that Ashley Summer was related to Advin Summer, hence Sean helped out and even personally held Advin's arm to assist him to walk. They had never seen Sean act that way with other famous chefs in the shows he was invited to.

Ashley stared at the screen without really seeing it, barely feeling the tears rolling down her cheeks. Her mind was full of Sean's confession and her heart could barely contain happiness mixed with sadness.

With his public confession, she knew he was serious about them getting back together. He also publicly admitted he was already in the middle of divorcing his wife. He was clear in what he wanted and did it.

But Ashley Summer does not know what she wants. Her heart yearns for the romance she had experienced with Sean, but also afraid of the detachment she had gotten from him. Her mind says it would be a fool of her to accept Sean again, especially when he refused to tell her anything useful.

"We... could never be together..." Until he finally comes clean with her.

But once he did, should she accept him again. Her heart and mind were in conflict with each other

Ashley clutched her aching heart and turned off the TV. She sat before the dark TV screen dazedly for the rest of the night.