Chapter 33 - Injured leg

HAPPY NEW 2022! 

Chapter 33 - Injured leg

Finally, there was no one around and she could do something with her injured leg. Carefully removing her high heels, she slowly stood up with most of her weight supported by her uninjured right leg.

She did not look at her left leg, for now, planning to see it once she was safely hidden inside her office. But it was hard to ignore the throbbing pain.

With one hand carrying her shoes, she hopped towards her office like a one-legged toy soldier. Being in a hurry and unbalanced, she loses her balance and falls for the second time. She manages to break her fall by landing her ass onto a chair used for guests right opposite Rina's table, but the angle of her fall caused her forehead to hit Rina's table.

"Ms. Summer!" Rina happened to return at this time and witness her embarrassment. With a horrified expression, Rina hurriedly made her way towards Ashley.

Dang! And she thought no one could witness her humiliation.

"Are you alright?" Rina helped Ashley up and examined her forehead.

"Just injured pride," Ashley said dryly as she rubbed her aching forehead. "And wish that I could use I'm drunk as an excuse."

"What are you saying?" Rina asked, confused. "Why are you not wearing your shoes?"

"Sprained my leg, I guess." Ashley sighed. "I think I will go back home now." The pain will interrupt her concentration so it was no use to continue working.

"You will?" Rina asked in surprise. Her reaction makes Ashley wonder if she had ever gone home early before.

"Yeah. My luck is bad enough already. And it's just half a day. Call me if there is anything. The technician is on his way. Can you help me to my car?"

It will be painful if she once again falls without anything to grab onto.

Seems like her good luck returns as she manages to get to the parking lot and back home without being stopped by anyone or getting into an accident. But she was relieved far too early, as when she searched for her apartment keys, she could not find them in her handbag.

"Oh shit!" Ashley cursed as she remembers she had not put them back into her bag after removing the spare key for Kyle. It was likely still inside the pocket of her coat in her office.

Once again taking the lift and heading slowly to her car, she paused when there was a black sedan parked right beside her car. She waited for the driver to get out first before entering, only to find the driver was Sean.

"What are you doing here?"

"I heard from Rina you got home early because you sprained your leg." Sean walked towards her. "You look as if today is your bad day."

It was reflex as she raised her hand towards her hair, and to her dismay, found that half of her hair had escaped from its bun. She could just imagine how messy she looked.

"That's why I'm home," Ashley said warily. "Without keys."

Sean held out a set of keys. "Rina asked me to pass it to you. She found it in your jacket and guess you must have forgotten it."

"Thanks." she sighed. Hopefully, Rina did not tell anyone about her humiliation, but that was just pushing her luck. By tomorrow morning, everyone in the diner will know about it.

She stretched her palm out, but Sean did not hand over the keys. "I will help you up."

"No thanks. I could do just fine myself."