59

Nicolette's POV:

I rushed out of the house for school. Scott had since left, leaving me to go by myself. Thank you, McCall.

I took a moment to reminisce on Stiles' words. He'd told me Derek loved me. Love is always a hard emotion to convey if you're not totally sure how you feel. Did I like him? Most definitely. Do I love him as well? That I don't know yet.

---

At school, we got our tests back and Malia waved hers around excitedly. "Lydia? Lydia. Did you hear me? Look. I passed."

"'C-minus'," Lydia noted.

"Your notes are great when they're not written in code."

I looked at my test to see a 'C'. About typical for me. Malia got another test placed on her desk. 'F'. Coach gave her a look. "Disappointed, Malia. Profoundly disappointed."

Lydia pursed her lips. "I'll send you my notes."

Kira said, "It's over. The computers are off. No more assassins. No more murders. No one's dying."

"Not yet," Lydia whispered.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked quietly and my friends shrugged.

---

I made my way to Derek's loft and smiled. "Heard you stayed with me at the hospital. Thank you."

Derek returned my smile. "I'm just glad you're okay. Nicolette, when Lydia found me and explained me what happened, I-I didn't know what to do. All I knew was I had to know you were okay. If you were, everything would be okay. If you weren't-"

"Being half-god helps a little with that, thankfully. What did it feel like, out of curiosity?"

"It felt like pain everywhere. You're lucky you're half-god, Nicolette. Had you not been, you very well could have died. And that's something I'd rather not think about."

"I'm okay, Derek. Honest."

"I know. Just try not to let something like that happen in the future, okay? Because, let me tell you, that was not fun. You gotta be more careful."

"I'll try. Careful is my middle name."

"No not isn't. I'd say something more along the lines of reckless."

"I mean, you're not wrong."

---

Later at school, as soon as I walked in, Liam grabbed my wrist, as well as Stiles'.

I pulled my arm away and frowned. "What?"

Liam looked between us. "Have you two heard from Scott today?"

Stiles nodded. "Everything's fine. I got a text from him this morning and he said he might be a little late."

"Well, how late is late? Is he always late?"

"He's usually on time. For the most part," I said. "Devenford Prep is who you're playing, right?"

"This time, it's an actual game."

"You'll kick their preppy asses. I know it."

Stiles shot me a look. "Be nice, Nica."

"I was nice, thank you very much."

"No, you weren't."

Liam said, "He shouldn't be late."

"Who shouldn't be late?" Coach asked, walking by.