Even after all that had transpired?

"If you recall correctly, father, the dwarves had already escaped before I was involved with anything. I only helped the hobbit."

Thranduil's eye twitched ever so slightly at that statement.

"Ah yes, the hobbit..." the elf king trailed off, "Tell me, why you did assist when I requested you detain the creature?"

"You remember the counsel we were given shortly before the dwarves arrived. She needed to be protected."

Thranduil scoffed, but his fury had dimmed somewhat.

Instead it was replaced by a curiosity that seeped into his gaze.

"She?" he questioned.

"Yes." Legolas remarked slowly, still wary of his father's reactions, "She. Lyla Baggins of the Shire. And SHE needs our help."

Thranduil's gaze hardened again, "Why should I help her? I did not believe Galadriel's words when she spoke them, why would I trust them now?" He frowned, "And, it would seem that the hobbit is lacking in some wit to embroil herself into the quests of others."

"She had no choice in this matter, Ada," Legolas murmured heatedly, his eyes fixed on his father.

The father he didn't know or understand.

"She's being manipulated," Bain cut in, much to the elves' surprise. Legolas regarded the young boy with his curly mop of brown hair and thin cheeks with curiosity and interest, admiring his bravery.

"She was kidnapped and then forced to meet with The Master, just like my father." The young boy swallowed and cringed, "They tricked him and they took her away. I know they brought them down into the cave where the children are."

"She could have said no, young one," Thranduil admonished, eyes bright and flashing with indignation, "She could have merely stayed home in the West and never had to deal with all this. She brings trouble with her."

"Now that is quite enough of that!" Gandalf thundered, stepping in front of Legolas, "It was I who suggested the hobbit for this mission to reclaim The Lonely Mountain. I am the one who set the dwarves on their way. And I still maintain the goodness of this quest."

Legolas watched with rapt attention as the grey wizard stepped forth, his presence growing in power as he stared down the king.

"And could you, oh great king, have disregarded the plight of the innocent when faced with their terror as she was?"

Thranduil glowered at the wizard but said nothing.

Though his silence said enough.

Gandalf nodded his head thoughtfully, his presence shrinking back, though the air still crackled around him like lightning, "Do not condemn a lone hobbit for her pity and compassion. For, it might be the compassion of Lyla Baggins that controls all our fates."

"Ada," Legolas whispered, stepping forth once more, "The evil of Mirkwood is spreading, it's black, decaying fingers slowly seeping throughout the land. Do we sit idly by and let others fall? We've lived peaceably with the men of Laketown, trading freely with them. Can we not fight?"

"Yes," Thranduil conceded, "Yes, we have. And we can. But, what do I owe Thorin Oakenshield and his little hobbit companion?"

He sent a glare at Gandalf.

"That dwarf seeks out the wrath of a dragon. Why should I aid in THEIR quest?"

"Because, both quests have now intertwined. Their success will determine the success of Laketown." Gandalf remarked, "The Master is the puppet of a larger force that would use the dragon against the free peoples of this land, binding them. Lyla Baggins goes, not only to help the dwarves reclaim what is, by right, theirs, but to hopefully dispose of the potential threat that Smaug poses."