Back

"Mia! I forgot to tell you this, but I'm back now. For good. I want my children to grow up with a life as similar to mine as possible." She had finally calmed down from the other news. The news of my pregnancy. She did not react the same way this time, she just stared, mouth open and eyes empty. "Mia, you did hear me?" I was becoming anxious from her reaction. "Yeah.. I did hear you, no worries." She whispered, eyes still empty. Well, they were not so empty any more, there was tears in them. "No.. Mia! Don't cry! If you cry I'm going to cry, and then I won't stop!" My voice was somewhere between laughter and crying, making it sound really weird. "But I will cry, how can I not? My best friend is finally coming back." She mumbled, before once again breaking out in joy and jumping around celebrating. She really did not look her age where she jumped around. I couldn't help but laugh at her response, despite that slight feeling of sadness I so suddenly was experiencing.

I do not know for how long I was there, but when I finally got home the lights were off. "Max?" I shouted the moment I walked through the front door. No answer. "Max?" I shouted again, this time actually receiving an answer, making my heart beat slower again.

It did not take too long for me to finish up and get in bed, which I was grateful for. I may enjoy being with Mia, but it's extremely tiring to be pregnant. "I love you, Kari.. you're my one and only." Max whispered to me the moment I let my body down beside his. "I love you too.. forever and always." I mumbled back, falling asleep almost the second after the words left my mouth.

It was cold. I could not breathe. I could not move. I could not see. All I could do, was think, and feel. I felt the touch of a hand on my body, slightly touching my face. I felt the touch of.. a baby? On my stomach. But despite this, I could not feel joy, just fear. My heart was pounding as fast as it could, for no reason at all. My entire body was relaxing, maybe a bit too much. And my breath.. it was nowhere as rapid as my heart made it feel like it should be. What was happening to me?

This.. this could not be the end, could it?  My death? Is this the way I die? No. It could not be. I had many years left, I am not yet 30. I should have at least 50 more! And Max, and my unborn baby, I know I have many years left with them. They are my life, the reason I have to live.

"Kari! Honey!" Someone was screaming in my face. No, not someone, it was Max. "Max.." I mumbled back, before quickly sitting up and opening my eyes. "Max! You're alive! I'm alive!" I screamed. "Well.. yes, of course you are? But now I don't have to ask about why you were crying in your sleep, I suppose." He cautiously said, braiding our fingers together. "I was crying?" I could not believe it, but he was right. I could feel the tears on my cheek, not wet anymore, but the stream where they had rolled. "You were, and it hurt to see it, not knowing why they were there. And I couldn't do anything about it, to make it stop.. I was screaming your name for a good 15 minutes, and you still didn't hear me!" He turned more and more frantic as he spoke, and his grip on my fingers tightened. "Max.. you're hurting me.." I mumbled as I tried to pull our hands apart, and failed. He was too strong.

Remembering I forgot to react to his short speech, I kissed him and mumbled a response. "I love you Max, I live for you. And now that we are home, for good. Back, for good. I know our lives will turn perfect, or at least as close to it as it can get, when our baby is born. And we come back here, to live our lives." And I kissed him once more, deeper, more passionately. Bringing myself on top of his lap, wrapping my fingers in his hair. He parted us, and stared into my eyes. "I can't wait Kari." He smiled as he said it, before once again merging our lips together.

I pulled us apart after a few more seconds. "But now we have to get up and ready for the day!" I jumped out of bed, smiling widely as I did it. Looking back to where Max was sitting, I could see he did not want to wake up, fully. Wanted to take all the rest he could get before the season started again. "Oh, come on! We have so much to do!" This made him curious, and he had put on his clothes faster than I had ever seen him do before. "I'm ready, now come on, tell me your plans!" He was walking out the door as he said it, and did not hear my answer. "We're going on a hike."

"You have ti change Max, that is not the right clothes.. take these." I smiled as I dumped a bag filled with new clothes for him in his lap. I had already changed, because he take twice as much time as me to get ready for the day. "Kari, what is THIS?" He seemed confused as he held the pants up. "Hiking pants, get used to them, because we are going on a lot of hikes during this break. Time to truly show you my home, where I feel even more home than in this house." My entire soul lit up at the thought of being in the nature again, reliving my youth. Where I had spent my time instead of doing schoolwork. "Alright.." he mumbled back, faking a smile.

"I knew you would like it, despite it being a bit heavy." I smiled into his breast as he pulled me into a hug on the top of the mountain. "Totally worth it, but I don't understand how you could do this so much before, and never be tired of the same landscape." I truly felt offended by the last thing he said, but didn't let it show. I was just happy to be back. To be home. To live my life with him.