Test

"Max! Max! Max!" I shouted around the apartment, trying to make him come out from wherever he was, and come to me. So long I had not succeeded. "Whaaaat!?" He at last shouted back, making me shout back. "Come here! Right now!" I sounded almost angry as I shouted, but he knew I wasn't, he had known me for enough time to know that. "What is it, darling?" He said as he sat down in a kitchen chair in front of me. "So here is a list of things I need you to pick up from the shop, alright?" I said it lightly, as if I hadn't just been shouting after him. "That was the urgent business?" He asked, before even having read the note. "Oh, it is urgent business." I frustratingly said, crossing my hands over my chest and furrowing my eyebrows. "Mhmm.." He mumbled before reading the note, and rereading it.

-milk
-apples
-bread
-pregnancy test
-new saucepan
-bananas
-grapes

"I suppose you have read the note enough times now to know it by heart?" I tried to joke, as his eyes just kept on widening and widening as the realisation settled in, tried to joke to calm him. "You. Preg-nant?" He stuttered out, eyes wider than a full moon. "Just to be sure, I was supposed to have my period the last day we were at my parents, but it didn't come. And still hasn't now, a week later, so better safe than sorry, or something." I walked around the kitchen table as I said it, letting myself down in his lap when I was finished. "Got it, got it. But we have been trying though, so wouldn't shock me too much if you are pregnant." Despite how calm and collected he tried to sound, he failed, I could see his fingers tremble. All nine of them, he had stopped using the fake one at home when we moved in together, in Monaco.

"But still, WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A LIST OF NAMES YET!" I started, noticeably stressed by my own realisation. "Nᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴍʏ ᴏᴡɴ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏɴ ᴍʏ ᴘʜᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ᴡᴀs 13." I continued, mumbling, hoping he didn't hear it. "You made a list of names when you were 13, and haven't changed it since?" He laughed, kissing my cheek when he was done talking. "Well, yeah, but not many of them are English friendly, and I have in fact added more names to it throughout the years!" I pouted, looking away from him. "We can discuss this later, alright?" He forced my head to face him, and stroke his fingers through my hair. I had let it grow, only to donate again and have short hair, like I had planned on from the first time I donated my hair. "Ok, kjekken." (Okay, handsome.) I smiled before kissing him. "Something about hearing you speak Norwegian.. just makes me feel different." He whispered as he pointed down. "Max! How are you still like this? Even after a week where you have had action every night? How are you going to survive when I am pregnant, and after I've given birth!" I laughed, not expecting an answer as I stood up from his lap and went back to rearranging our food cabinet. "I don't know, just know that I probably will struggle." He shrugged, before taking the keys and walking out of the kitchen, and out of the apartment.

Despite it being in the middle of the summer I still couldn't help it as I felt the Christmas vibes creep in on my. And without having seen snow in a long time, at least since Christmas, it was weird. Deciding not to fight the feeling I just accepted it and went through my archives to find the most Christmassy movie I could think of; Flåklypa Grand Prix. Each year, around Christmas, it gets shown on national television and everyone watch it. It is not a true Christmas if you don't have snow, or watch Flåklypa. I tried to make Max enjoy it too, mostly because it doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, but it all is about racing. It was also my first meeting with any form of racing, and telling Max that didn't even make it a bit more interesting for him. It did not, he even despised it more by learning the story.

"Are you planning on watching this with us, or?" I asked Max as I sat down besides my mom, only her, because he was in the kitchen and my dad was in the barn. "Why would I? It doesn't really matter, does it? You've seen it so many times, you know it like the palm of your hand!" He annoyedly said when he stood leaning on the door sill with crossed arms. "It is tradition, and I.. love it." I answered, visibly confused by his tone. He only grunted before walking over to the couch and grabbing my hand in his and closing his eyes. Of course he was planning to sleep through it all, it was not even a long movie, barely an hour long. "You're special." I whispered before resting my head on his shoulder. His presence alone was enough, even when he didn't want to be there.

"Kari?" Someone was knocking on the door, and they did not sound like Max. But I got up nonetheless and opened the door, only to find the one person I didn't expect to see. He hadn't even come to my wedding, despite being invited, I just didn't know what to think. "Uhm.. hi?" I was completely at loss for words, but still I smiled broadly, happy to seem him again. And he smiled even wider, so wide he almost glowed, but I didn't know why. He still hadn't talked since he called my name through the door, or towards the door, I don't know how to explain it. But I stepped back, opening the door further as I did so. "Uhm.." I hummed as I gestured for him to walk inside, assuming he wanted to, and he did. "Ehm.." he answered as he pointed towards the couch, and I nodded, understanding that he asked if he should sit down.

Without asking if he wanted something to drink I just left him on the couch alone, the racing scene of Flåklypa paused on the TV. I was planning to make some chocolate milk and probably put out some cookies too, my mom thought me well. And my grandmother I suppose; always give visitors food and drink, even if they don't ask for it. Something about being a good host, I think, really don't remember much of those hours of schooling. "You still like chocolate milk as much, right?" I shouted before pouring it into the second glass. "Oui, oui, mademoiselle!" (Yes, yes, MiLady!) He shouted back, surprising me with how good spoke french. Surprising me so much I almost spilled all over the counter, but not a drop went outside the glass, luckily.