Chapter 2 - Cache

August 12th, 2019

1208 Hours

Near Coteku Mountain Range, Afghanistan

--------------------

Despite the fact that the raid on the Tiajif compound took place a week ago, the Guard had yet to be assigned any missions regarding the Hyenas.

Instead, they were given patrols around nearby villages, with the intention of both scouting and improving relationships with the local Afghan people.

One example of such was today, in which the Guard was accompanying a convoy delivering water to villages whose water lines had been damaged.

"Seriously?" asked Fuli, as she stood on a hill with Kion, watching over the main water truck as other Marines filled up the local's containers. The other three members of the Guard stood around the second vehicle of the convoy, waiting for the locals to finish.

"What?" Kion innocently replied.

The sergeant gave him an impassive look, it was enough to make the lieutenant chuckle. "Disappointed we're not doing a raid? You know I have no choice in selecting our missions."

Fuli wiped sweat off her tanned forehead. Afghanistan was brutally hot in the summer, especially at around midday, which it currently was. "You don't have a choice in selecting missions," she said, "but you can definitely influence the type of them."

Kion bit down on a valve connected to his vest, which was a hose leading to a hydration pack in his backpack. It allowed him to drink some fairly-cool water, quenching his thirst from the unyielding heat.

"Command is still processing the manifest we found," he answered. "Well, they've processed it, more like they're planning out our operations."

"And how long does that take?"

"I don't know, a day, a week maybe?" Kion looked down at the convoy, there were only a few people left. "Why are you so antsy? We did a shoot house this morning."

Fuli sighed and brushed off some dust from her weapon. "Best type of experience for a job is hands-on."

"I...don't think that applies to our line of work," said Kion, an eyebrow raised and a small smile on his face. "Most people would much rather choose training over actual gunfights."

"Then you have people like Bunga," said Fuli.

Kion chuckled. "Definitely."

Both of the two soldier's radios momentarily produced static for a second, before Ono's voice spoke through. "1-1, 1-2, this is 1-5, we're leaving in five."

"Copy 1-5, coming down now," replied Kion. "Let's go," he spoke to Fuli.

Both soldiers headed down the hill, meeting up with the rest of the Guard and the other Marines. As they approached their vehicle, the commanding officer of the water mission, Captain Alder, walked up to them. "One more village to go to, then back to base," he informed them.

Kion nodded, then got into the driver's seat of the Guard's designated vehicle, swapping over from Bunga, who had been the driver for the trip to the village - a worrying thought, even more worrying in reality, though there had been no accidents yet. Kion started the up-armored Humvee, then followed the lead vehicle.

The convoy traveled at a steady place to the next village, kicking up a flurry of dust as the ten-vehicle procession thundered along the sandy road.

"So, Ono," started Bunga, raising his voice as the armored vehicle rattled, "would you rather be training recruits or be doing this?"