48. Past and Present

Start from the beginning

And it wasn't with you.

He had been in love with someone that you didn't even know.

Someone from perhaps centuries back, and someone who he wished was with him today.

Someone who of course, wasn't you, a random girl whom he married out of benefits and not love.

You should've expected this from a demon who had lived a millennium, but your heart still crumpled like an empty water bottle that had been squeezed and twisted.

"What happened to that person?" you cautiously wondered aloud.

At your question, the line of Muzan's brows tightened in slight hesitance, mirrored by his pursed lips, but his shoulders relaxed and opened up to you.

"Her body could not handle our half-demon baby."

So, she had carried Muzan's child, too.

That made you jealous. Just a little.

Or, maybe just a smidge bit more than "just a little."

Whatever this feeling was, you hated it.

You paused momentarily, though, to consider why Muzan's story sounded so weird to you.

No, not weird, but familiar.

"Funny," you commented, smiling as you finally remembered a silly vision from several nights before. "I had some dream that you wanted me to become a demon because of that—that our baby was killing me."

Muzan's plum-red eyes shot open.

You didn't think that your husband's face could get any paler.

But, it just did.

"What?" he blurted. "What dream?"

Lips pushed outward, you sank into thought and sifted through that one, tiny kilobyte of memory in your brain.

"It was really weird. I had a month to live, but I rejected your offer to become a demon. Sorry, I guess?"

Suddenly rigid in his seat, Muzan held up a halting hand, his head lowering and his eyes closing and re-opening in a dramatized way.

"So, you're saying that you remembered something from your past?"

The comment caught you off guard, and confused, you stared at your husband like he grew an extra head.

"My past?" you echoed. "One, what? Two, I'm not some reincarnation or—"

"But, I think that's what you are ever since I heard about you," Muzan interrupted. "I remember that. The dream you speak about, I was there two hundred years ago."

A large huff tumbled past his lips, almost in exasperation, when he gave you an unreadable look.

"Everything would add up," he continued. "That's why you've been so compelling to me, why you found yourself wrapped around demons again, why you would have such accurate recalls of my past. No, our past."

You were left speechless because, as you thought about this again, he was right: it did add up.

However, the thought of being yourself and somebody else—some nobody and someone who had the demon lord adored—both housed within the same soul, was simply unsettling, to say the least.

In fact, that proposition opened an entire barrage of other questions.

What did you even mean to Muzan anymore, the man who'd seen these two separate versions of you?

Were you one person? Two people?

"Then, is that why you married me?" you asked. "Not only for the blue spider lily, but also because I reminded you of your past lover?"

In that last question, you couldn't even hide your agony even if you tried.

He's evil, he's evil, he's evil, you had to remind yourself to not be swallowed by hurt.

"Yes. Well, that was the case at first," he revealed.

The past tense bothered you, made you pry further into your husband's intricate web of thoughts.

"At first?" you lamely repeated. "Then, where are we...now?"

You didn't really want to know the answer.

But, at the same time, you really did.

You braced for it, braced for any and every painful thing that he could say.

Muzan's ruby eyes locked with yours, as he decided right then whether or not to simply tell me the truth.

"It's difficult," he eventually hummed. "But do you really want to know?"

Grimacing, you relinquished a steady but reluctant nod and waited with a held breath for your husband's response.

"I'm a demon who had helplessly fallen in love with you."

So, the person who I think about instead of Muzan is

So, the person who I think about instead of Muzan is...JEON JUNGKOOK. And if you don't believe in their similarities, let me just show you:

-WAKEMEUPSOON was the only person who knew my secret beforehand, and someone send this pic to my server

-WAKEMEUPSOON was the only person who knew my secret beforehand, and someone send this pic to my server. LOL.

next update: next friday!