10. To Smell a Demon

"I smell like a demon?"

You remembered Shinobu, the cheery girl, visiting your herb shop last week.

Yes, she had mentioned that the stench of demon lingered on your clothes. Yes, she warned you to be careful. Yes, she told you to carry the wisteria on you (but you misplaced the flowers and were too lazy to fetch more from your herb shop).

You hadn't noticed anything particularly weird in your life, so you never really took her concerns to heart.

Giyuu, though, clearly did.

He silently stood with his nose still planted on your shoulder, his hushed breathing bringing feather-light touches against your neck.

"Well," you started, cautiously glancing at the boy. "Do I smell like a demon?"

Clearly, you had not been transformed into a bloodthirsty monster, but Giyuu and Shinobu were worried that you had been near one. There wasn't much they could do to confirm or deny their suspicions, though.

Giyuu drew an audible sniff at your neck.

Initially, he was quiet. As you waited for his response, your heart fell as you braced for Giyuu's answer.

What would you do if Giyuu said yes? That you did in fact, smell like a demon? Were you going to do nothing and allow the lurking monster to eventually ravage your body? Or would you run away, fleeing in desperation?

And if he said no? Should you be relieved, or should you remain on guard?

Eventually, the Water Pillar relaxed his hold on you. Straightening up from your embrace, you saw a blush creep up his cheeks as he stared off to the side, avoiding your unrelenting gaze.

"Well?" you squeaked.

Although you highly anticipated a concrete response, Giyuu only shrugged.

You know that Giyuu was not particularly the chatty type, but you were unsettled. This was not the time for ambiguity.

"What is that supposed to mean?" you asked in a raised voice.

"I-I can't really tell," he quietly admitted with embarrassment.

Unfortunately, his Hashira training did not offer a class on Demon Smelling. Recognizing the scent of demons was a high-level skill to be gained from months, or even years, of experience.

Although you would like to know the answer, you knew that there was no use in pushing Giyuu anymore. Upset that he couldn't answer, the poor boy was visibly battling a case of internal self-frustration.

Giyuu had slumped his shoulders, his head lowered.

You swallowed a lump of guilt, immediately regretting the sharp tone you had used with him. You carefully reached for Giyuu's arm.

"It's okay," you reassured with a squeeze.

He only huffed with annoyance, his typically passive gaze narrowed into a determined glare.

Even with all the reassurance in the world, though, this wasn't "okay" for him.

Giyuu was always watchful of you, making sure that you were never in harm's way. He swore to make sure that you would never go through the challenges he had faced.

Now, though, not only was he unable to provide an answer, but he was also worried that you—the very person who he had left in this world—would be swiped away from under his very nose.

Giyuu closed the room door behind him and motioned you to return to bed. You followed his orders, burying yourself in the warm heap of your comforter while he sat on the edge of the mattress.