14. Don't Worry

"Who hurt you? I'm going to kill them!"

Giyuu pushed away from your hold, motioning a Breath of Water form with his imaginary sword of air.

"Second Form: Water Wheel!" he huffed as he tumbled towards his invisible, pretend enemy in your dark room.

When he straightened up, you grabbed the maroon portion of Giyuu's haori, yanking the angered boy down with such force that he ultimately fell backwards with a thud.

Giyuu landed on his buttocks, hard.

"No one hurt me!" you reassured to the boy for the hundredth time. 

Eyeing your bandaged arm, Giyuu shot you an incredulous look before reluctantly relaxing his body at your words.

Meanwhile, you couldn't hide your dorky grin as you realized how much Giyuu cared for you despite his usual, serious expression.

This past week, Giyuu had been making more frequent visits to your room after realizing that a demon may be near you. 

He explained the situation to his Oyakata-sama, who graciously excused the Water Pillar from several missions already.

You loved every moment you spent with Giyuu, but you couldn't push aside a feeling that there was a larger, underlying reason as to why he wanted to stay by your side more often.

For a typically quiet boy, Giyuu had been speaking quite a lot the past couple of nights.

Some nights he would play card games with you. Other nights, he would tell you about his demon-slaying adventures until you fell asleep.

Wearing your long-sleeved kimonos, you had been careful to hide your wounded forearm these evenings to avoid worrying the boy. 

However, he had caught a glimpse of the bandages earlier tonight and was now going berserk.

After all, how did you manage to get yourself hurt right after he had promised to protect you?

You sat up into a criss-cross applesauce to re-explain your story. "I already told you. I was cutting an onion, and the knife slipped from my hands. Then, I cut my forearm."

You really lost count of how many times you repeated that same sentence.

"Why did you hide this from me?" Giyuu asked, the faintest tinge of panic bubbling in his normally flat tone. "You're supposed to tell me if you get hurt."

Feeling guilty, you averted your gaze to the bamboo floorboards. "I didn't want to bother you with something so silly."

"This isn't silly. This is serious," Giyuu grumbled.

You didn't respond, prompting the frustrated boy to huff with annoyance.

As he fell back onto your futon, the boy seemed lost in his thoughts for a moment as he focused on the ceiling above.

Even as you glanced hard in his direction, you had trouble reading his emotionless face.

To occupy your mind on something else, you lightly traced the white medical tape that encircled your forearm.

"I'm almost healed, Giyuu-chan," you promised, calling the Water Pillar by his childhood nickname.

He wasn't assured, though. You could tell because his muscles stiffened as he released a long sigh.

"Who bandaged you?" Giyuu finally said, turning to you and examining the white strips from afar.

"My husband patched me up," you started.

Immediately, a blush crept up your cheeks as you recalled Muzan's face inches away from yours. His wine-colored eyes, squinting as he carefully tended your wound.

You also remembered your husband's other characteristics.

His sharp jawline. His rugged features. His muscular physique.

There was something otherworldly about the man you were married to. Something that allowed him to seemingly bring all life to a standstill.

"Where is he now?" Giyuu asked, stirring you from your thoughts. "Where's your husband?"

"He's on another business trip," you muttered, suddenly realizing that you did not know Muzan's specific location.

Although you still did not see Muzan very often at home, he would now occasionally greet you in the halls, a hopeful sign that your relationship with your husband could improve. Muzan had left a couple of days ago for work, wherever that was.

"Why isn't your husband here when he should be?" Giyuu started.

You froze.

The thought never really occurred to you. You always enjoyed Giyuu's company, and you never questioned his presence.

Your husband was a different story because he always seemed busy. 

Some nights Muzan would quietly stay in his room. Most nights, though, he would be busy in his office, or that's where you think he is.

You still weren't sure about exactly what he did for a living, but not that you really cared about that too much.

"Work is work, money is money," you answered. Enough said.

However, Giyuu was far from satisfied with your reply.

For a long moment, the room was enveloped in silence. 

When you could no longer bear the stillness, you glanced at the Water Pillar. His figure quietly laid on your mattress as the boy contemplated to himself.

His expression was unreadable, his mind clearly lost in thoughts. 

You wondered if he was still mulling over your wounded forearm, or perhaps he was thinking about some past missions. 

Just as you were about to prod him, Giyuu's mouth opened to speak.

Crying in the club right now because of all the support I've been receiving

Crying in the club right now because of all the support I've been receiving. (ㅠ.ㅠ)