pride & joy

PRIDE
AND JOY

hello & welcome!

hello! thank you for choosing to read this story! I hope you enjoy your time here :')

if you enjoy reading then please remember to vote as you go as it massively helps! if you'd like to let me know what you think then feel free to leave as many comments as you'd like! I love interacting with and responding to you all <3

summary

Nate Pembroke makes an offer that Denver Hughes can't bring himself to refuse.

✩✩✩

Ever since tragedy struck Denver Hughes' family two years ago, nothing has been the same.

As a result, already apathetic Denver decided his best move was to push his feelings aside and avoid them completely- until he decides to seek them out again.

Nate Pembroke acts without thinking and has the bruises to show for it. He's impulsive; a hurricane; a whirlwind and he's Denver's golden opportunity.

When he offers to help Denver embrace all of his messy and complicated feelings, Denver thinks it's an offer he can't refuse.

But as their friendship begins to blossom into something more, Denver is forced to face his feelings— and his grief— in a way that he never has before.

#6 in abandonment.
#9 in bisexual.
#27 in movingon.
#40 in novella.
#49 in youth.

info

In total, there are thirty five chapters and there will never be a sequel and any bonus chapters are very unlikely to happen! Written in third person and the majority of the chapters fall between 1000-2500 words.

The romance and developing bond between the two protagonists, Denver and Nate, is the heart of the story, but there are themes of grief, loss and abandonment present throughout that are very important for the characters. Therefore, there are times that these will be as key as the friendship and romance!

please read!!!

If you enjoy then please don't forget to vote on the chapters you like! It really helps me and my writing as it lets me identify weaker and stronger points in the story so that I can improve next time! It really is appreciated and it really helps a lot.

The same goes for any feedback or constructive criticism! I always see your comments and I'm always happy to respond to them! Please don't hesitate to comment if you have any questions or anything you think could be improved or even just thoughts about the story.

Your support is always appreciated. Thank you.

epigraph

❛ Do the angels really
reabsorb only the radiance that streamed from themselves or,
sometimes, as if by an oversight, is there a trace
of our essence as well? ❜
The Second Elegy, Rainer Maria Rilke

dates

published: 23. nov. 21.
completed: 01. Feb. 22.

themes

love
queerness / lgbtq+
friendship
bisexuality
anxiety
loss
abandonment
grief
family
moving on

copyright

I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but do not copy this work!

I have had experiences in the past where people have copied my work or posted adaptions without my consent or knowledge. Therefore, if any of this is stolen then I will not hesitate to report the reposted story!

I also do not accept adaptations, translations or anything else. If you ever see this posted somewhere else then please inform me so that I can take the necessary action! Thank you.

my other works

i. sun kissed (2021)
A short story about an outgoing teenager who is determined to befriend his coworker over the summer and is much more successful than expected.

ii. cause for concern (2021)
A novel about a teenager, his misfit friends who party too much and cause too much trouble for their own good, daddy issues, facing the past and learning to be okay again.

iii. third time's a charm (2022)
Exes twice over, Brooks and Archie, decide to give loving each other one more shot.

iv. love thy neighbor (2022)
Blake Collins moves in next door and Luca Mendoza's world turns upside down.

v. the best of us (2022)
Seventeen year old Tucker Bailey's life is spiraling out of control and he wants to get it back but the road ahead is a long one, and if Tucker takes a wrong turn then he doesn't just risk losing himself. He risks losing everything.