My hand did meet my face this time, quietly though as not sway either of their attention.

I had no idea what kind of approach this was, but It didn't feel like one you should take with Nico.

Or at least that was my thought process before I reminded myself that he knew Nico much more than I did.

I'd seen a hint of the bond they had as brothers nearly two years ago and just watched it get worse from there.

I didn't know what they were like before Layla became an issue.

My hand dropped, deciding to just sit and watch how this all played out.

Or fall apart as Nico's sigh cut through the air.

Yeah okay, he wasn't in the mood, but this time I didn't think it stemmed from Xander.

I wonder if Khloe's okay.

"If all you wanted was to bother someone go do it to someone else." He snapped.

I watched panic flash across Xander's face for just a second before his body acted, sticking his foot into the room to stop the door.

"Wait wait okay I do actually have to tell you something." He finally mentioned as he composed himself again.

I faintly heard the backward footstep from Nico.

"Since you weren't at dinner I thought that I'd tell you about the announcement that they made during it."

Another slightly awkward silence that he filled.

"It's that time of the year again so the pet doctors will arrive tomorrow afternoon to collect all the pets in the castle. They said to get as much use out of them as we can tonight because they'll be at the clinic for two days before they're returned."

There was a clanging from the inside of the room, grabbing my attention for a short second.

Xander's too if the turning of his head told me anything.

"Oh," Was Nico's subtle reply.

He sounded more bummed about this than I was.

Xander took that as his cue to take out the paper

"Yep. They passed out the forms to fill out as usual so I grabbed Khloe's for you."

Nico must have taken it since Xander's hand returned to his pocket.

Okay, this was going better...

"It's a little different from the past forms and they explained them to us but," he lifted his shoulders, "You're a doctor I'm sure you can figure them out."

"Yeah... Thank you."

Oooh a 'thank you'.

It sounded genuine too.

Dang, I was way too into these brother's relationship...

Well, I did want him to get better. To fix all of this.

It was what I've wanted for a while now, so I guess it only made sense for me to be a little excited about it.

Xander bowed his head, stepping out with the door handle in his hand.

"Consider it payment for fixing my pet's shoulder." were his last cheekily-spoken words before he shut the door himself.

Just to lean his hands against it while he let out a very deep breath.

He looked to me soon after, for what looked like some sort of approval

"You really could have gone without that last part, but other than that I'd say it went well," I noted, pushing myself from the wall.