The Search for Carlos Williams

Voight dreaded telling Elena the news about Carlos Williams and the murder of her two classmates, but it had to be done, and she would have to be taken into protective custody until he was apprehended.  That was a fact, and it was not up for discussion.

As anticipated she was devastated when she heard the news and flew into a rage that someone she had considered a friend could do something so heinous and evil to others she had also considered friends. She wanted to find Carlos herself, confront him, and then kill him with her bare hands.  It took a while for Voight to calm her down. He had never seen this level of fury in her, and it reminded him of himself.

After she calmed down though, she accepted the reality of the situation that Carlos was a very dangerous man who was capable of doing anything.

Voight had a 24-hour police detail posted at and around his house, and he began working from home so that he would not be leaving Elena alone at any given time. The Intelligence Unit essentially set up a command post at his home, and it's members were there at all times except when they were out in the field.  Voight always stayed behind but remained in contact with them at all times.

"Is all of this really necessary," Elena asked.  She was embarrassed by all of the attention and thought it a bit ridiculous.

"Yes, it's really necessary," Voight answered her as he stroked her cheek, understanding that she was overwhelmed by the intensity of everything.  "This Carlos Williams is a psychopath.  He's killed two people, shot a cop, and all indications are you and your other friends in his circle are targets.  We can't put anything past him."

All of the other students who had been in Carlos Williams' group had been accounted for, located, and taken into protective custody, all except one, a young woman named Savanna Murray.  No one had seen or heard from her, including her parents.  She did show up at the Antifa rally with Carlos, but she was the only person in his group who did. After that she seemed to have vanished off the grid.

They tracked her cellphone which was located not far from where the bodies of the two students who were found near the Jackson Park lagoon. It was feared that she was with Carlos when he murdered the two students, and then he took her with him. Why he didn't kill her there, too, was unknown. Perhaps he just wanted a hostage, but whatever the reason she was undeniably in grave danger.

"What can you tell me about this Savanna Murray," Voight asked Elena.

"Not much," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. "She's an economics major, that much I do know, and she seems really into Carlos and his messaging, but that's about all I can tell you about her. We aren't close or anything like that. In fact. she was always distant with me and the others . . . except Carlos."

Voight and the Intelligence team feared that Savanna was already dead, and her body had not yet been discovered.   It had now become a search and recover mission for the Chicago PD.
                         —————————
Voight kept his promise not to let Elena out of his sight. She was not allowed to set foot outside for any reason, and the only time he left the house was to take out the garbage or use the outdoor grill. He missed being out in the field with his team, but when they weren't at the District or in the field, they were at his house.

Elena was becoming frustrated with her confinement and pleaded with Voight to let her go outside, however briefly, even if it was just to the corner drugstore. But he was adamant and told her in no uncertain terms he wasn't taking any chances with her safety. 
                        ———————-
Voight was sitting at the kitchen table working on some reports when Elena walked in, went over to him, and wrapped her arms around him from behind. As she nuzzled his neck she said in her most seductive voice:

"Hankers, my sexy, handsome luscious butt, sugar lips, I was thinking . . ."

Without looking up from the report he was reading he said abruptly, "No!"

"Wait, you don't even know what I was going to say!"

"You were about to ask me if we could go somewhere just to get out of the house.  Am I right?"

"Or maybe, just maybe,I was feeling romantic and was going to ask you to take me upstairs and ravage the hell out of me," she said teasingly.

He put down the report he was reading and pulled her  into his lap.

"Okay, look me in the eye and tell your, uh, what was that you called me — luscious butt — that was what you were going to ask me." He gazed deeply into her almond eyes and waited for her response. God, she was gorgeous, he thought, like an Egyptian princess.

She looked away. He could always read her like a book.

"Okay, Hankers, maybe I was going to ask you if we could go to Mariano's and pick up a few things so that I can get out of this friggin' house for five minutes!"

He kissed her lightly on the lips and then gently nudged her off his lap, playfully slapping her on the butt.

"Nice try, Kitten, but the answer is still no. But hey, with that cute ass of yours I'll definitely keep that ravaging thing in mind for tonight!" he said as he turned his attention back to his report, a lascivious grin spreading across his face.  

He suddenly looked up from his report, his brow crinkled in puzzlement. "Luscious butt? Where the hell did you come up with that one?"

Elena ignored the question. "You know, Sergeant, if I'm confined to this prison much longer, I'll murder someone — most likely you — before Carlos gets to me. I'm a real badass when I get angry. And trust me, you don't want me to get angry.  I know karate."

"Yeah, so I heard," he said offhandedly. "What are you, an orange belt?  That's like the second level, right?"

"Well, yes, but I'm still an expert in martial arts . . . sort of.  And for the record, I'm proud of that orange belt," she said with a slight pout.

It always amazed him how she switched from seductive woman to insufferable brat in an instant.

"Kitten, I have no doubt that you're one tough, hardcore, badass broad who could easily kick my luscious butt, but you still ain't leaving this house. Now please let me finish my work, and then we can have lunch. I'll put on a couple of  steaks, and you can make the salad. How does that sound, Kung Fu?"

She rolled her eyes and flounced out of the kitchen without saying a word and went upstairs to her room, slamming the door.

"BRAT!" he called out to her in his raspy voice, chuckling and shaking his head. 

Shortly after she walked out his cellphone rang. It was Ruzek.

"Hey, Adam, what's up? Any news?"

"Boss, they found Carlos Williams. Dead."
—————————-