Spree Killer

Voight looked down at Elena, her bare breasts glistening with perspiration, her eyes staring up at him with complete adoration, her dark brown hair spread out on the pillow. He swept back her hair with his hand as he lowered himself down onto her body and buried his face in her neck, moaning in ecstasy. She wrapped her arms and legs around him, holding him in a tight grip like a human vise.  He never wanted to be released.

Just then his cellphone went off, an unwelcome sound that couldn't have come at the worst possible moment.

"Dammit," he cursed while Elena giggled in her girlish way.

"I think the sex gods are cursing us," she said as Voight rolled off of her. "It's their way of saying fuck you."

"They're definitely not saying that, otherwise that's exactly what would be happening to me right now," quipped Voight as he reached over to the nightstand to retrieve his phone.  The caller ID said it was his desk sergeant, Trudy Platt. He waited a few seconds before answering so that he could slow down his breathing. He held the phone with one hand while resting the other one on Elena's stomach. He hoped that whatever it was would not require his immediate attention since he had other things in mind, but he knew better.

"Hey, Trudy."

"Hank, I'm sorry to be calling you at this late hour. I hope you weren't sleeping."

"No, I was definitely up," he said with a wry smile as he winked at Elena and stroked her taut tummy.

"Good. Listen, I just got a call from Area One. They've got two dead bodies near the Jackson Park lagoon, one male, one female. Both shot at close range once in the head with what appears to be a semi automatic."

"Are they assigning Intelligence to the case?"

"No, but they said I need to loop you in."

"Trudy, what's going on?"

"Hank, the two people who were shot were freshmen at the University of Chicago. They were also part of  Carlos Williams' little group that Elena joined.  They were brought in for questioning by Homicide right after the Ewing shooting, the same day as Elena's interview with Draper.  Ballistics hasn't come back yet, but it appears the weapon that was used to shoot Officer Ewing is the same one that killed these two kids."

Voight went numb.

"Hank, are you still there?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here."

"So it looks like Carlos Williams may have resurfaced and is on a killing spree. Chicago now has a spree killer."

Voight got out of the bed, pulled on a pair of pajama bottoms, and without saying a word walked out of the bedroom, closing the door behind him so that Elena wouldn't hear the conversation. She watched him, not knowing what was going on but assumed it was just another case he was being called in on.  That meant he would probably be leaving soon. She knew the drill, so she grabbed the remote, flipped on the TV, and settled back on the pillow. 
                            ——————-
Trudy gave Voight all of the information she had received from Area One. Apparently, Elena was not the only one in Carlos Williams' coterie who did not show up at the Antifa rally that day. Either their parents had prevented them from going or they finally realized that Williams was a psychopath who was using police brutality and police reform as a pretext for his homicidal tendencies.

Williams was enraged when none of his so-called acolytes showed up in support of his purported cause.  When Lieutenant Draper compared him to Charles Manson, he had been closer to the truth than he realized.  However, Williams lacked the charisma that Manson had and now resented the very people he thought he could recruit to attack police officers, his latest target.

Trudy also told Voight that according to the other students who had been interviewed, Williams was especially enamored with Elena and had hoped to make her his special project.  He thought she would fall right in line because of what had happened to her friends getting shot and killed by policemen, but when she failed to show up at the rally, he felt betrayed and highly resented what he perceived as her disloyalty.

"So what happens now?" Voight asked "aside from stepping up the manhunt for Williams."

"Elena is definitely on his hit list, so it goes without saying that she will have to go into protective custody as well."

Voight rubbed his forehead.  He had thought for a moment that all of the bad stuff was behind them, but it was just beginning.

"One other thing," Trudy said.

"What?"

"The two students he killed, their throats were slit with what appears to have been a single edge razor,  and both were penetrated with a stick, vaginally  for the female and anally for the male."

"Oh, my God.  Just like Clarence Walker," Voight muttered.

"Just like Clarence Walker, Chicago's first black serial killer," Trudy repeated. "Apparently Elena told him about Walker and her connection to him because those particular details were never released to the press."

"When will it stop?" Voight asked.

"Hank, the city is on high alert. According to one of the students who's now in protective custody, he was enraged when he found out Elena was living in Bridgeport with a white cop. I guess she never mentioned that little detail to him, and when he found out, he's thinking that she was probably a mole who had infiltrated his so-called organization. Did I mention that in addition to being a psychotic sociopath he's a paranoid schizophrenic?"

"I'm not letting her out of my sight," Voight said more to himself than to Trudy. "Thanks Trudy. I'll talk to you tomorrow." 

Voight disconnected the call and walked back into the bedroom where he saw that Elena had fallen asleep with the remote still in her hand.  He took it out of her hand, turned off the television and the lights, and slipped under the covers, wrapping  his arm around her.  She instinctively snuggled up against him even though she was still asleep. 

"I'm not letting you outta my sight " he said under his breath as he kissed her on the cheek.  Soon he fell asleep as well. 
                             ——————-