More Than Meets The Eye

Voight kept his word to Elena and did not disclose what she had told him about the Lane Bryant massacre and its connection to the Wright family, specifically Midian's father. But he didn't know how long he could hold that promise.  A murder had to be solved . . .  actually several, including the Lane Bryant victims, and an innocent young man needed to be exonerated of Murphy's death.

Once the Homicide Unit received the ballistics report from Maury Kerr it began investigating the connection between the Lane Bryant massacre and Sean Murphy's murder. It could not be ignored or glossed over, and they had no idea where the evidence was taking them. The good news, however,  was that the case against Mark was becoming weaker by the hour.

Voight decided to assemble his team and advise them of the information Elena had given him.  He told her beforehand what he was going to do.  Initially she wasn't happy but finally accepted it once he assured her the team would keep their confidence. He needed his team to help him decide what they were going to do and how they would proceed.

He told the Intelligence Unit everything, starting with Midian's cousin, Ethan Campbell, his use of the gun he borrowed from Mr. Wright's gun collection, and his admission to Matthew that he was the one who committed the Lane Bryant massacre. 

"So if this Ethan Campbell is deceased, that would mean that either Mr. Wright or his son Matthew may have killed Murphy and unknowingly used the same gun that was used in the Lane Bryant killings," Halstead said.

"I don't know, Jay. It's certainly possible. If I had to choose between the two of them, I'd say it was Mr. Wright, Midian's father. He was an Army Ranger and served two tours in Afghanistan as a sharpshooter. He knows his way around firearms, and killing would not be something new to him."

"So what do we do with this information?" Upton asked.

"Nothin' "

Everyone looked at Voight.

"Nothing?"  Burgess was puzzled.

"Yeah, that's what I said.  We haven't got anything really.  All we have is hearsay on top of hearsay on top of hearsay.  This Ethan Campbell makes an admission to Matthew — who was a kid at the time by the way — who tells his kid brother, Midian, who tells Elena, who tells me, and now I'm telling all of you.  What is that, triple, quadruple, or quintuple hearsay?  I've lost count. Not to mention that the original declarant, Ethan Campbell, is now deceased, and his statement could never be admitted as an exception to the hearsay rule. This evidence would never  stand up in court."

"The gun would," Ruzek said.  "Homicide is probably checking the records of the five families of the Murphy shootings as we speak and will find out that Mr. Wright, Midian's father, is the registered owner of a .40 S and W Glock.  That and a definite motive would be enough for a warrant to search his home.  The man is a sitting duck."

"I know," Voight said as he rubbed his thumb knuckle across his forehead, a sure sign he was distressed. "But for now we do nothing, say nothing. What I just told you doesn't leave this room. As you already know, Intelligence has been ordered by the Deputy Superintendent to go nowhere near this case, and that's just what we'll do . . . for now. If we do anything, talk to anyone, it will be off book."
..............
It was almost 10:30 in the evening, and Kirkland Wright had just gotten into his car in the building garage where his architectural firm was located. It had been a long night. His firm had just been awarded a contract on an office building that was to be constructed in the south loop, the largest job ever for his company. He and his team had been going over the specs all evening which were going to be presented to the owner in the morning, and he wanted everything to be in perfect order. He also welcomed the long hours. It distracted him from the crushing grief over his son's death, even if it was just for a few hours.