Chapter 20:: Holy Roman Empire

~-No one's POV-~

  Prussia stared at the ancient push broom that he had set on the coffee table moments earlier. His younger brother's brows were deeply furrowed as he watched his hesitating brother. Gilbert sucked in a shuddering breath. "You know who zhe Holy Roman Empire is, right?" He asked, unable to make eye contact.

  Ludwig sighed. "Barely. Ich know zhat he vas important und close to you und Italy centuries ago. Zhen he vent to var or somezhing und never came back. At least, zhat's vhat Elizaveta told me."

  The albino nodded. "Ja, she vas right. Zhe Holy Roman Empire, or Holy Rome, vas in so much power. He had owned most of Europe und vas growing, although still so young. He vas, is, mein little bruder. But zhen he vent to var vith France. The French overthrew his army, and Holy Rome crumbled down to practically nozhing." The Germans headache worsened, but kept listening. "However, not all of zhe Holy Roman Empire vent back to zhier own countries. Italy doesn't know, actually, only Germania, Rome, Hungary, Austria, und ich know about zhis, und maybe Romano. Ja, Romano knows. Zhat's one reason vhy he doesn't like you."

  Germany leaned forward. "Know vhat?" He muttered.

  Gilbert bit his lip and brushed the tips of his fingers over the carving in the broom handle. "Zhis is your carving. Italy gave zhis to you just before you vent to var as a goodbye present und also to remember him by. Actually," he left out a soft chuckle, but the glint of sarrow still glimmered in his eyes, "you zhought Italy vas a frauline back zhen. Zhen you gave him a goodbye kiss. It was both of your first kisses. Zhe reason vhy Romano doesn't like is because vhen Italy figured out zhat you may never come back, he cried. Romano hated and still hates that fact. He blames you for making his little bruder cry. He doesn't want you to do it again, zhat's vhy he tries keeping zhe two of you as far apart as possible, even zhough he knows zhat vould be impossible."

  The German fell deeper in the pit of confusion. "Vait, how can ich be zhe Holy Roman Empire?" He grumbled, standing up. "Zhat doesn't make any sence! Zhere's no vay ich could be him!" He started to snap.

  His brother also stood. "Do you remember any of your child hood? No, you don't, because the month after ich 'found you', you vere full grown. "No country grows zhat rapidly. It takes years for a personification to be full grown." Before Ludwig could protest more, Gilbert snatched Germany's shirt and yanked up. He stuck out his finger and jabbed it at his younger brothers abdomen. "How do you explain zhis if you vere not Holy Rome!" He shouted.

  Ludwig peered down at the old scar he's had since he was found. He was never able to explain that. His jaw opened, but no words managed to escape his throat. "You got zhis vhen France defeated you. One of zhe soldiers stabbed you, und since you vere small enough, he threw you! Zhat's how you lost your memories! Ich vas too busy trying to hold back ozher French soldiers zhat ich couldn't get to you." Tears started spilled from the Prussian's ruby eyes as he released his brother and backed off. "Every time ve tried telling you who you are, you'd get awful headaches und you'd be sick for days. Ve had to change both your names ecause it vas so bad. Ve eventually stopped. Ve didn't vant you to suffer more zhen you alvready have." Gilbert started to tremble as he was unable to stop the tear flow. "Anyvay, ich am going to rest. I'm going back to Hungary tomorrow." He muttered, then bolted toward the stairs.

  About half-way up, he froze. "He's Holy Rome?" Came a soft, almost inaudible question from the direction Prussia was facing. "Why didn't you-a tell me?" The voice was now a quiet whimper. Slowly, almost unsure, Germany made his way to them to peer up at the girl. Her hair was slightly damp and she was wrapped in only a towel, meaning she heard at least half the conversation. Fresh crystals fell from her beautiful amber orbs as she glanced at Ludwig. "You're-a Holy Rome?" Before either could answer her, she stumbled back, then darted into her room, locking the door before her.

  "Feli!" Both brother shouted. "Vait!" Gilbert called, dashing after her. He knocked on her door. "Bitte, let me in, Feli!" He pleaded, Germany now behind him. He didn't receive an answer. "Feli, come out und ve can talk about it!" Gilbert tried to persuade her but to no avail.

  "No!" She cried, obviously buried under her covers. "You'll just-a lie to-a me like you've been doing the-a past couple centuries!"

  Ludwig stepped up, lightly pushing his brother out of the way. "Feli, come on. Let me in." He muttered, lightly rapping his knuckled on the door. "Please, Italy."

  After a few silent moments, there was soft patting on the floor, heading towards them from the other side of the door. "Are you-a lying too, Germany?" While confusing the German, Italy leaned against the door. "Are you-a pretending to not remember to-a play with my-a head?" Her voice quivered as she spoke. "You-a knew that you were-a Holy Rome and you're-a using that to-a play with me, right?" She sounded uncertain yet accusing at the same time.

  "No. Nein, I didn't know, Feli. Ich vouldn't have even guessed Ich vas Holy Rome until now." Ludwig answered truthfully. "I'm sorry for you to have to find out like zhis. But, Feli... Vhy vould ich vant to mess around vith your feelings?"

  Feli sucked in a breath, but hadn't moved otherwise. "I don't-a know."

  Ludwig glanced at Gilbert, who started to look slightly confused, then inhaled deeply. "Ich liebe dich, Feli. You know zhat."

  Italy slowly unlocked the door, then steadily pushed it open. Sluggishly, she wrapped her arms around the larger man, hiding her face in his chest. "Ti amo tanto."

  Prussia blinked, his eyes wide. "Oh, damn. Ich hope Romano doesn't find out." He muttered, slowly stepping back, hoping to go unnoticed, which he managed.

  The little Italian squeezed tighter, her tears still falling and soaking the front of her lover's shirt. "Y-you're-a really H... Holy Rome?" Her voice dropped to below a whisper as she trembled. She didn't dare raise her head. She was, in truth, scared to glance up at him.

  "Ich... I'm not really sure myself." The man in question sighed, his arms wrapping the girl in a tight, warm embrace. "But I've been having these memories recently. About before zhe var. Vhen ich vas vith you." A while later, they were still wrapped in each others arms. All was silent until Ludwig broke it. "Do you really zhink ich vould lie to you, Feli?" He asked, and she shook her head.

  "No, no! But I-a trusted Prussia, and he's been lying to-a me the whole-a time!" She yelped, trying to defend herself. "I-a... I've just... Missed Holy Rome so-a much, and to-a think that he's been in front of me this-a whole time..." Tears welled up in her amber orbs as she finally raised her head to make eye contact. She slowly lifted her hand, then placed her palm on his cheek. "Holy Rome..." She trailed, then crumpled up in his arms. She wailed and clung to him as she was unable to hold back anything. "Why did you-a leave me!? Why didn't you-a come back like you-a promised!? You swore! You sealed it with a kiss, then made me wait for centuries!" She screamed, pounding a weak fist against his chest once before being completely drained into her sobs. She shook violently, tears escaping through her tightly shut eye lids. Her cried filled the house as Ludwig was brought to his knees and cradled his, gently trying to calm her down. "You-a promised me you'd-a return..."

  Germany stroked her hair as he rocked back and forth. "I did, Feli. I came back, but not vhen ich promised, und for zhat I'm so sorry."

  Italy whimpered, curling up, trying to soak in as much warmth from him as she could. "Don't-a leave me... Please don't-a leave me again." She quietly begged, resting her head against his chest.

  Ludwig rested his chin on her head, closing his eyes. "Ich von't leave you. I promise."