A Bat's Fear

A/N major character death and it's kind of depressing well a lot depressing 

If someone were to ask any member of the League about what Batman feared, they wouldn't get a straight answer. Because until now no one had seen him truly scared. He was the Dark Night, he was a hero, the Caped Crusader. Surely he wasn't scared of anything.

If someone were to ask any of the young heroes about what Red Robin and Robin feared they wouldn't get a straight answer either, maybe a joke about Red Robin losing his coffee or Robin losing one of his many swords. But that would be just it, a joke because no one had seen either of the young heroes scared. 

And if someone were to ask Gotham's villains or any anti-hero for that matter, about what the Red Hood feared no one could answer. Only the ones who really knew him might stand a chance but even they might get it wrong.

This was the same for Black Bat, Spoiler and Oracle. 

No one had ever seen  any member of the Bat family scared of anything. No one had seen how they would really fight if that fear were to come true, that is until now.

It all happened on that fateful day, in the blink of an eye. The League were fighting a group of villains and while they may not be good at fighting there were a lot of them which made it very hard for the heroes to win. At one point, when Joker came out of nowhere with an almost army behind him Superman decided to call the Bats because it was obvious that they couldn't fare much longer like this.

In a matter of minutes, the Batplane was above the fight, and the Bats quickly made their way down. Just like that they had joined in on the fight but even with their superior training they were finding it hard to win. How had the villains managed to find so many people to fight for them. Almost every hero was fighting more than 5 villains at once and some were literally fighting so many villains that they couldn't even count their number.

Just as everyone gace their full attention to the fight, a bang was heard. At first no one really cared, since it was pretty common but then somewhere in the middle of the fight the villains were stopping in shock of what they saw. There right in the middle of the fight was Nightwing lying in a puddle of his own blood and a villain right next to him, holding a sword and before anyone could react, he pushed the sword down, right on top of Nihgtwing's heart, making sure he died.

There was a moment of silence as everyone tryed to understand what just happened, some villains were actually waiting for Nightwing to get up, for so long he had been impossible to kill but now it was actually done.

In that moment of silence, all the bats had stilled, with shocked looks that could be seen even with their masks on, but that shock was quickly covered as Robin screamed in denial and started attacking with such ferocity that no one could really believe it was him.

And just like Robin, the bats started fighting with murderous rage,  no one had ever seen any of them like this before. Angry yes but murderous, no. Batman always had a line,  and that line had only been broken once before, when the second Robin had been killed but he was here now, alive and well. Meanwhile they all knew that Nightwing didn't have a chance of coming back.

So they fought, they fought with all their training and knowledge, they fought for a best friend, they fough for a brother, they fought for the second Batman , for the first Robin and most of all they fought for Dick Grayson, a light all the Bats clung to, a light that saved them from their darkness, a light which was now gone.