Chapter 25: Against the Sophomores

Start from the beginning

"Anyways, we don't know how good she is yet. We'll find that out later though." Hoga left and went back to her classmates and continued the match. Ayako stayed for a while before following her from behind.

...

After an hour of practicing and performing the fundamental skills, class 1 year 1 took a quick break and gathered into a circle while listening to their teacher's instructions once again. "All right! You guys did well. But now we're gonna play a practice match and you're opponent will be..." He stretched his toned arms and pointed at the opposite direction, "Class 1 year 2."

"Eh?!?!?" The girls turned their heads and looked at their seniors in disbelief. "S-Sensei? Isn't this a bit unfair?? We aren't that good with basketball yet, aside Akagi and Genji!"

"Really??!" Ayako said in shock as her classmates were the same, "Yes, you'll be playing against your juniors." Their old sensei said while sitting down on a chair.

"But sensei, isn't that unfair for them?" Ayako said but was interrupted by Hoga, "I don't think it is. Yes, we may have the advantage since we have a bit of experience but most of this class aren't really an athlete in basketball unlike me. The juniors will gain growth from having a match with us and so will we. It's not like it wasn't like this when we were in first year too."

Their teacher agreed with her reasoning but Ayako was still worried if it really is fair. "Also, this would be a good opportunity to see your assistant's skills." Hoga whispered to Ayako while looking at Rei at a distance.

The two classes began to walk towards each other and as they meet up, they all exchanged hands to shake. Ayako and Haruko shook hands while Rei was met with Hoga. Rei took a second to recognize her, "Senpai! You're Hoga-san from back then."

"That's right, I'm Ayako's classmate." Hoga gave a grin, "I'm looking forward playing against you." Hoga's words were sincere yet slightly intimidating. Rei was alarmed but was far from getting cold feet, and so she smirked and said with a cocky voice, "Me too."

...

It is three in the afternoon and a few of Shohoku's classes have been dismissed early. Yohei and Sakuragi walked through the halls and chatted, "Are you gonna watch Haruko play basketball, Hanamichi?" Yohei asked his blushing mess of a friend, "Yes yes!"

At the other end of the hall were a set of stairs were Hisashi was seen walking down from it with his school bag on his shoulder. The two did not notice his presence since they were too busy chit chatting which Hisashi had overheard the conversation, "Haruko's playing and so will Rei. I gotta see this one too." Yohei felt his lips forming a smile but he didn't mind, he was excited to watch the match, especially when Rei is there.

Hisashi on the other hand had heard Yohei's sentence and stopped from his tracks for a while. He too was now curious and wanted to see Haruko's claims for himself.

...

Inside the gym lockers, five starters have been picked out and Rei got the attention of the group upon receiving the number 4 for her to wear. Looking at the yellow fabric with the number both back and front, Rei was baffled as to why she was chosen as the captain for the game.

"Listen up everyone! I have chosen the five starters who has experience with basketball but Rei has the most of the experience out of all." Says their teacher with a stern voice. Her classmates cheered her on especially Haruko but Rei was even pressured, she did not anticipate of becoming the captain to lead a team, she never had the authority before, leading was never her forte in a match.