Yay, Dinner With The Enemy

Start from the beginning

We talked as we ate, the conversation ranging from politics to new research fields and fashion news. Adrian's phone suddenly beeped and he apologized before running out the room to answer it. His plate was empty anyway.

We watched him leave the room before we turned to look at each other and awkwardly laughed.

"Always on his phone. Always so distracted." Mr Agreste commented with a shake of his head.

"That he is." I agreed

A few seconds later Adrian popped back in the room, stuffing his phone into his pocket.

"Umm, Dad, would it be ok if I turned in early?" He affected a yawn while rubbing his eyes. "I'm feeling a bit sleepy. Had a really busy day"

"That's okay. Sleep well, son."

"Thanks, Dad." He said then waved at me "Y/n, I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight."

He dashed out of the room before I could say anything. I'm going to guess he isn't actually sleepy. It probably was a news alert for Cat Noir

And now that it's left with the two of us, a heavy silence settled in the room. It remained even when Natalie cleared the dinner table and brought us tea. Mr Agreste took a sip and savored it before he spoke.

"So, how is Miss Juleka doing? Terrible thing to happen to one so young."

"Yes. It is." I see he's jumping right into it. I'm impressed.

"Ahh. Yes, you two were dating, correct?"

"We are." I corrected him immediately. "I'm still going to be here for her when she wakes up."

"I'm sorry. You must be feeling very devastated. Maybe even blaming your self."

"Blaming myself? What do you mean?"

"I heard you were there during the incident and tried to help. But it's really ladybug who failed. She caused all this."

"What?!"

Our eyes met and stayed but he didn't answer instead he quietly took another sip. He suddenly stood up, straightened his tie then indicated I follow him.

"Come with me, there's something I'll like to talk with you about. It might interest you."

I obediently followed him to his office. He sat at him desk and pulled out a book from a drawer. I walked to stand by him and then he opened the book.

"I have researched the miraculous ever since I first heard about them. There are many of them out there. Not just the Ladybug and Cat miraculous."

He began to flip through the pages, all of them showing illustrations and pictures of the miraculous and their users. He stopped at the hawkmoth miraculous then stood up.

"As you see hawkmoth also uses a miraculous. Throughout history, the wielders of the miraculous have protected humanity with their abilities, have been heroes. The other pieces are all powerful in their own right but the ladybug and Cat miraculous are the most powerful of all."

I glanced at him and he seemed to be waiting for a response. I closed the book and leaned on the desk.

"If the wielders are heroes then why is hawkmoth a villain?"

"He isn't inherently one. His power is to give other's powers of their own. But he corrupted his miraculous, changing it to feed on negative emotions."

"Why?"

"To get more power. He made a mistake that cost him something he loved dearly and wants to fix it. You can relate to that feeling, can't you?"

"... I can." I looked down as I answered.

It was silent for a while as I digested what he told me. I was considering what to say when he walked to stand by me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry to ask you this, but-"

I knocked his hand aside and glared at him with a look of suspicion.

"H-how do you know what hawkmoth wants." I paused for effect then added. "Are you-"

"No. He was a friend of mine. We were both interested in the miraculous. But he betrayed my trust."

"So you know who he is?"

"Yes. But that doesn't help us. I don't know where he is. All that matters is what we can do to stop him."

"How do I know you are telling the truth?"

"You don't. But I do know how to wake up Miss Juleka."

I brightened up and grabbed his arm.

"You do? Tell me. Tell me what you know"

He glanced down at his arm and I reluctantly let go. He straightened his clothes then walked over to his shelf and picked up another book.

"The reason hawkmoth wants the Ladybug and Cat miraculous above all else is because combining both gives you the power to make one wish. But I found a spell that allows someone to reverse any person touched by miraculous energy."

I read the book but it was in an ancient language. I cautiously looked up at him.

Why are you telling me this?

Isn't it obvious? The spell requires  both miraculous to work. We need to get the miraculous from them" I stepped back from him. He sighed and put the book away "I know how it sounds. And I don't blame you for hesitating. But this is the only way I know, that can help you. She's all that matters, is she not?

"I... I don't know what to say."

"I have thought long and hard about this. This is the only way, Y/n. I know you can get the miraculous and we have to hurry. I have reason to believe hawkmoth will get them soon."

"What? How?"

"I don't know for sure, but if that happens we will lose our chance to save your lady love. And I can't just let that happen"

"Why are you telling me this? I don't understand."

"Because I need someone to trust. Someone who is smart, quick, responsible and trustworthy. And that person is you."

He patted my shoulder again. "We all have to do things we don't like for the ones we love. It doesn't make it right but it's the only option we have, Y/n."

"Why don't we ask the heroes for help?"

"Even you, my son's best friend, can't fully trust me. Do you think they would trust us."

"Is that it? I just bring you their miraculous?"

"Yes. I promise I would save Miss Juleka then you can return the miraculous to them. That's all you need to do."

"I need to think about it."

"Of course." He stepped away and went to stand by his window again, arms folded behind him. He looked over his shoulder at me. "Just remember that you're running out of time."

I slowly nodded and dazedly walked to the door. Well that was interesting.

"Oh one last thing, Y/n." I stopped and looked back "Please don't tell anyone about this, especially Adrian. They wouldn't understand."

I nodded again. The door opened to reveal Natalie standing behind it, holding it open. I walked out but turned one last time.

"Have a good night, Mr Agreste."

"Same. have a good night sleep, Y/n. And remember, it's our little secret."