22: Riley

The timing couldn't have been any worse. Mia had just settled in, started getting to know people - and here come my eccentric parents to freak her out. My parents weren't in any way strict, or overbearing. They were pretty chill considering their rank. I appreciated it, but when they retired and moved to New York, leaving my uncle James with the title of Alpha - our relationship soured a little. I hadn't seen them since my coming of age ceremony when I turned seventeen, and although I didn't hate them, I resented them a little for leaving me alone with James so they could 'play human' all the way across the country. 

 My thoughts stilled for the first time in the last hour. Mia had kicked me out of our bathroom so she could shower. I wasn't too pleased with this initially, but if I had stayed in there, or even joined her, we would have been late. I finally got to shower myself, letting the water stream down my face, and making quick work of cleaning myself so that I could cling to my cute little mate as soon as possible. As I stepped out of the shower, drying myself off I hurried to throw on the outfit Mia had so graciously chosen for me. 

 I pulled on the dress pants and a black and white striped button-up, securing my mane of hair in a bun with one of the hundreds of elastics my mate left scattered around. Her habits had started to become increasingly obvious over time, and it filled my wolf with satisfaction and joy to see reminders of her in every corner of the once lifeless pack house. With one last check over in the full-length mirror, I exited the bathroom and witnessed an angelic sight before me.

 Ink red hair fell in waves around my petite mate, as she turned side to side, looking over herself in the mirror in our bedroom. She was dressed in a peach summer dress, with puffy sleeves on top and layers of fabric in the short skirt, paired with sparkling new white trainers. The shade of peach complimented her pale skin perfectly. She was breathtaking as per usual, and I stood in the doorway admiring her beauty. It took a minute for her to realize I was standing there, but once my presence was noticed, she skipped over to me with a beaming smile. 

 "Damn you look good my love", she gushed. Her eyes looked me up and down, and I could sense desire in her gaze. Her stares were greatly appreciated by myself and my wolf, but my focus was trained solely on her. Her dress accentuated her waist, hips, and legs - but also dipped at the neckline showing a bit of cleavage and it drove me crazy, leaving me with not so innocent thoughts. I bit my lip as I took in the sight before me. All I wanted to do was rip off the dress and mark her as mine officially, but unfortunately just as I began to stalk closer to her, one of the patrol guards, Kelly, had information for me. 

 Alpha, he called out through the mind link, there's a white SUV coming towards the packhouse now, your parents have arrived. I groaned internally. My wish to ruin my mate's pretty makeup would have to be put on the back burner, at least for now. Thanks Kelly, I responded dryly. Mia's eyes hadn't stopped analyzing my stare, her black-lined eyes were full of curiosity. I threw my head back with a grunt. "They're here", I announced. "Come on...time to get this over with". My mate took initiative, curling her fingers with mine and pulling me down the stairs, letting a smile remain on her face. 

 "Hurry, we need to welcome them", she ushered. If she was nervous, I couldn't sense it. She seemed more than eager to greet my parents. I, on the other hand, was dreading this possibly awkward encounter. Mia made it down the stairs at a shockingly quick pace considering she had short legs. I was impressed. Her hair bounced with her as she made her way down the long hallway to the door. 

 As if they had timed this, the door swung open as soon as our hands reached for it. We were instantly met with my parents smiling faces - they both stared at Mia with interest written all over their faces. "Oh my goodness", my mom sang. "Riley sweetie, you didn't tell us you found your mate". My mom was almost as tall as my dad, the guts of six feet - I inherited my height from both of them. "Yeah well, when you packed up and took off you didn't exactly leave contact details - or take into consideration that the pack link doesn't work when you travel that far".