Chapter 2: Revelations

Start from the beginning

Javen reached a hand to push Naruto back to the other kids and looked back for a brief moment, "You will not be fighting him, Uzumaki." Then, Javen turned to the clone, "I ask that you take me on instead."

Before Zabuza could open his mouth, Javen had moved behind the other shinobi. Javen was called a fox for more than his speed and intelligence. He had his own kekkei genkei. His body took on the attributes of a fox. Javen swiped his tongue over his teeth, and the original flat teeth were replaced with ones of a carnivore. Only a split moment passed before they were pierced deep into Zabuza's neck and ripped the flesh open. Javen took a step back as Zabuza swung around. One look at Javen would frighten anyone; his chin was covered in dripping blood, his eyes were slits like a cat, and he had a large bushy tail and ears like a fox. He was the embodiment of a predator.

In the brief moment that Zabuza recovered from the chunk taken out of his neck, Javen thought he could spare a glance at Kakashi. He was wrong. Before he could even turn back towards Zabuza, his body was flying into a tree. His head was spinning from the impact, and he could only hear Kakashi's voice in the distance, ""I'm telling you now; the same jutsu won't work on me again. So what will you do?"

Javen then felt a pinprick before his vision faded. What felt like just seconds later, he awoke on a soft surface. A hand kept his chest to the floor as he tried to jump up and fight again. He looked at the hand and then the face above him; Kakashi. He took a breath and let himself calm down and assess his surroundings. They were in a home, and Kakashi seemed pissed.

"Javen, what exactly are you?"

The kids were around Kakashi and looked just as concerned as the white-haired man. Kakashi had never seen that side of Javen as Javen only used his kekkei genkei in dire situations or to protect his comrades. Javen took a deep breath and placed a reassuring hand on Kakashi's to let him know he wanted to sit up. As he sat in bed, he hung his head; this was not a secret he wanted to reveal so soon.

"I have been ordered to keep it a secret, Kakashi. I apologize, but I cannot say."

Kakashi moved to hold Javens's chin, looking at each other, "If you do not tell me, I will not work with you."

Kakashi's eyes were not lying, Javen could tell. Javen then turned to face Sakura as his following words would be towards her and no one else in the room.

"My name is Javen Haruno, and I am the sole Haruno user of one of the shared kekkei genkei's between Kuramitsu Clan and Haruno Clan."

It took a moment before Sakura stood, her face red and her eyes full of confusion, "That cannot be possible. The only Haruno's are-"

Javen cut her off, "You, Mom, Dad, and me. I have kept my identity secret. I apologize."

Javen had never seen his sister this mad, not even in the years he had observed her at the academy.

"So, you mean to tell me you weren't in my life as my older brother?! Why?" Sakura was nearly in tears and took a breath to regain composure, "Why would you think that was okay? Don't you think Mom and Dad must have been worried sick?"

Javen knew all eyes were on them, but he ignored the stares, this moment was critical, and he couldn't afford to lose his sister.

"I joined the ANBU and became a guard for the Hokage and an escort to harder missions. Mom and Dad knew my decision and parted with me as soon as I graduated from the academy to join the ANBU." He patted the bed to the side of him. Sakura took a seat, "It would have been dangerous for any of you to be associated with me, and it would have been hard for me to toss my life to the side for our Hokage had you been expecting me home from a mission."

Sakura seemed to soften, and Javen knew even though she was still mad, she understood a lot more than in the beginning.

"I apologize, Sakura." Javen started again, "I wanted you to get to know me, but I still had a job to do, and therefore my identity had to remain a secret even from you. So I will be more honest with you all now" He turned to address all of the group with his last statement.

A few moments passed, and Kakashi spoke, "Are you still working with the ANBU, Javen?"

Javen nodded, and Sakura's fuse blew again, "So you mean to tell me that you can get called on a mission at any time, and I could lose my brother that I just learned about?"

Javen nodded yet again, "Yes, I apologize. This is why everything was a secret."

In response to the statement, Kakashi placed a hand on Javens's shoulder in an apology for forcing the subject.

"I thought the Harunos didn't have a Kekkei Genkei. How do you have one?" Sasuke spoke up, and Javen faced him and Naruto, who was uncharacteristically quiet.

"You would be correct. The Haruno clan does not have a kekkei genkei. Still, our clan in the past would seek out arranged marriages with other clans so that their future generations would have the chance to inherit kekkei genkei as well. Mine is from the Kuramitsu Clan." Javen smiled at the chance to talk about his power.

It felt good being this open with anyone other than the Hokage.

"What does it do?" It was the first time Naruto had spoken up, but his eyes were lit with curiosity.

"It's quite a complicated kekkei genkei, so listen carefully," Javen took a breath before explaining, "My specific kekkei genkei is called Ancestral Transformation. This specific Kekkei Genkai allows the user to turn into one of three forms: an herbivorous form, a carnivorous form, and an omnivorous form."

Despite her anger, Sakura had been listening carefully and spoke up now, "Did we witness your carnivorous form earlier? The fox?"

Javen's smile grew wider as his sister expressed interest in getting to know him, "Yes, actually. The fox is the form I use the most, hence my ANBU title being 'Pink Fox.' Unfortunately, I can only tap into a bit of the herbivorous form. I am not yet strong enough to use the third form, so my fox is what I normally use." Javen turned to Kakashi, "Now that we have chatted a bit, I wish to be filled in about the battle I somehow missed. I believe I was knocked out by a needle of some sort?"

Kakashi nodded, and Javen could tell through the look in his eye that something bothered him, "The ANBU we both saw was a hunter-nin. They interfered and killed Zabuza on the spot and ran with the body."

It was Javens turn to be bothered, "He didn't dispose of the body on the spot?"

Kakashi shook his head and turned to the kids, "Hunter-nins are also known as the Corpse processing team from Kirigakure. They're given the specific duty of hunting down missing shinobi and completely erasing the person they're searching for, utilizing their superior assassination techniques and medical skills. The part we are hung up on is that Hunter-nins dispose of the body wherever they killed it."

Javen frowned as he looked at Kakashi. This situation didn't sit well with him, "If he needed proof that he killed Zabuza, he could have just taken the head, but he took the entire body?"

"The worst part is the weapon used to kill Zabuza." Kakashi sighed heavily.

"It was a regular sebon needle, like the one used to knock you out," Sakura stated, and Javen felt his stomach drop.

"That's impossible," Javen stated, looking at Kakashi again.

"That's what I thought as well," Kakashi responded.

Then, Tazuna opened the door to the bedroom and introduced himself to the conversation, "What are you all talking about?"

Javen turned with a heavy sigh, "Zabuza might still be alive."

A/N: This chapter is a bit shorter just due to the amount of dialogue. In the future, Javens kekkei genkei forms will be completely different than they used to be and will be shown in other parts of the story. Reading back on my old work, I was cringing heavily at my chosen forms.