Chapter 1: Introduction

Start from the beginning

Javen would have continued if Hiruzen didn't cut him off, "Javen, enough. I understand. I had asked you to go see your sister for a reason. I wanted to see if you wanted more than just an ANBU life."

Javen bowed, his blue eyes closing as he showed appreciation, "Thank you, Lord Third."

"Javen Haruno, I want you to listen now, I still need you as an ANBU, but I am willing to make you a deal." Lord Third looked at Javen, who stood up straight now and nodded to indicate he was listening, "I still need you here, but I cannot be selfish. So I will have you join Sakura's group as a mentor for them while working under Kakashi."

"Kakashi? That's a name I haven't heard in a while. I would be delighted to join them if they would have me."

"If you join, you must work under Kakashi and follow his orders. Is that clear?" Hiruzen stood as he spoke, walking around the coffee table to Javen.

"Yes, of course, sir."

Hiruzen nodded then and looked at the ceramic mask hanging by Javen's belt, "Now, Javen, I do have a decision I need you to make." His fingers pointed to the mask, and Javen looked down briefly, "I cannot let you be ANBU and a citizen, so you have two options. You may reveal your identity and no longer be ANBU but a Jonin for the Leaf, or you may keep it on and remain an ANBU. Either way, I will allow you to tell them your first name only, and I will allow you to join Kakashi's team."

Javen paused and looked back at his mask for a long moment before meeting Hiruzen's eyes, "I would like the option the reveal myself in the future if that is okay."

Hiruzen nodded before stepping towards the door, "Tomorrow, you will meet me in my office. I will give you a headband to pretend to be a Jonin. This way, no questions will be asked about why there is an ANBU in Kakashi's group. Remember, do not reveal yourself as Javen Haruno, or your identity as the Hokage's ANBU will be considered leaked. I could no longer let you be ANBU."

Javen nodded, bowed again, and held that bow until his front door closed and Hiruzen left his apartment.

The next day Javen left his ANBU mask at home for the first time since he left his family as a kid with a different name. So when he entered the Hokage's office, he felt bare and lost. Hiruzen even chuckled at how disoriented Javen looked.

"Javen, please put on these, so you look the part." Hiruzen pulled a Jonin vest and a scratched-up Leaf Headband from his desk and held them out to the pink-haired man.

Javen only nodded and slid on the vest before tying the headband to his thigh, where it would show but not be too in the way. He had only put both of them own when a loud scream sounded in the hallway. Immediately, he moved to Hiruzen's side, prepared to protect him.

Hiruzen slapped his back and smiled, "Loosen up Pinkie. You need to make a good first impression on Kakashi's team."

Javen felt his stomach sink as he processed Hiruzen's words, "Now?" He put away his kunai and stood up straight.

The Hokage didn't even get a chance to answer before the door to his office opened. First, a blonde boy walked through, followed by a white-haired Jonin who locked eyes with Javen immediately. Next came a boy who bore a striking resemblance to an ANBU once known as Itachi and then a girl who bore an uncanny resemblance to Javen himself. Javen forced a smile on his face, but the smile was awkward, so Hiruzen elbowed him as the kids stared at him.

"You should introduce yourself," Hiruzen spoke after he elbowed Javen. The pink-haired male paused for a moment before standing up a little straighter.

"Hello, My name is Javen. I'll be joining you all as a mentor and working under your teacher if you all would let me." Javen bowed slightly at the end of his introduction and then stood again.